Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Royal wedding- talk about it and celebrate here

Comments

• Yes it is. I'm a republican and have several things to do with the royals. One being that I have commented on this thread about two of them in a polite and praising fashion. Also I use stamps and cash both of which have old Lizzy on.

I'm not against everything to do with the royal family because of my political convictions either. When the quiet revolution comes, which it will, maybe not in my lifetime but eventually, I'd still like to keep the royal palaces and gardens. They could make a lot of money for the country in tourism. Without the royals living in them or being supported they would be in profit too.

I'd always listen to 'God Save the Queen' as it is one of my favourite tracks from' Never Mind the Bollocks, We're The Sex Pistols' too.Though I would ban the music of the band Queen.

See quite a softy on the royals aren't I?
  • OMG, has everyone seen the alternative Royal Wedding cake, made by McVities? Let's get this party properly off the ground!

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/girlfriday31/cake.jpg

[quote]The couple asked McVitie's Cake Company to create a chocolate biscuit cake for the reception at Buckingham Palace. The chocolate biscuit cake is made from a Royal Family recipe and was specially requested by Prince William.[/quote]

Amazing..........[GF drools and reaches for a big slice]
  • Wow! *Chippy starts drooling*
  • Hm... great cake,
    but ST, not sure ...not sure at all.
  • Yeah you're convinced. I can tell.
  • That cake looks yummy!
  • Had a lovely day watching the wedding from 8.30 onwards. Finished with the TV at 2 and then walked to the pub to discuss the finer details.

I thought it was a brilliant day for the happy couple and for anyone else who cared.
  • I agree BB it was a brilliant day couldn't have been better.
  • edited April 2011
    You're right. What could have made it better? I loved the way they left BP - very 'them' and not expected by the crowds.
  • Kate's evening dress was stunning too. If she ever donates any of her wardrobe to a charity shop...
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382015/ROYAL-WEDDING-Kate-William-leave-Clarence-House-wedding-reception.html
  • That's a lovely outfit for the evening.
  • thought this was quite fun :)

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=25067567

Can anyone lip read? Whoever can would have got way more out of the day than the rest of us, being able to see what everyone was whispering to each other!! :D
  • Loved that verger!
  • I was just about to open that Daily Mail royal wedding link then I realised, royal wedding, Daily Mail, there are not enough bullets in the world to fill my face with, so I left it alone.
  • It was a lovely day and I spent it glued to the television with my laptop so I still managed to write.
    To be honest I've had enough of those who have griped about this wonderful occassion either here, on Facebook, Twitter or in the press. Royalty and grand occassions, whether sad or happy are great affairs here in Geat Britain. It's tradition at it's best and if we ever lost it then the moaners would really have something to complain about.
    Brand GB put us top of the world today and we all live here so let's celebrate that shall we?
  • Hear, Hear, writebag
  • Well, all the gripers and moaners didn't stop it happening, did they? It was an incredible day and, actually, when you look at its core meaning, it was all about celebrating true love and togetherness which I think is something everyone in the world can relate to. We had a prince, a princess, royals, ceremony, tradition, carriages, the palace and a young couple who clearly adored one another and had waited a long time for this moment.

It was tradition at its best and sent brand GB around the world as a country that still has that magic touch. Tourist chiefs think its going to boost tourism for us for many years and I can believe it. With 2-3 billion people watching worldwide, that's one hell of an audience.

A great day all round. Let's keep the party going for a bit longer. Now, where's the rest of that McVities cake...?
  • My sister lives in America, been there over thirty years and she says they are just mad about our Royal Family and can't get enough of them.
    She and her American friends were getting up at 2am to watch it-time difference.
    My daughter works with Americans via their American office and they were so jealous we had a day off to celebrate.
  • Just thinking I don't think Catherine was wearing her/ Diana's engagement ring was she?
  • [quote=kateyanne]My sister lives in America, been there over thirty years and she says they are just mad about our Royal Family and can't get enough of them. [/quote]

Which ties into my idea. Send the lot of them over to America. If Americans love them so much let them have them. Wonder how long it would take before they started complaining about how anti-democratic they are and how much they cost to run. They would soon have another revolution. To me the only message it sent about our country to the world is how gullible and stuck in that past we are.
  • [quote=kateyanne]Just thinking I don't think Catherine was wearing her/ Diana's engagement ring was she? [/quote]

She wasn't at the wedding but she was when she went out in the evening. She put it on after her wedding ring. I think it would have looked odd if it had been the other way around as Diana's rock was quite big!

I was in Asda this morning and heard some sweet elderly couples enthusing about how wonderful the wedding was and how beautiful Kate looked. It was nice to hear that positivity first thing on a Saturday.
  • it was too! Let's put all the miseries down, it was a wonderful day, the photographs are spectacular, a million people crammed into the Mall to shout their good wishes, thousands more had street parties, thank goodness they had good weather! what else can we say about it, apart from the overwhelming Feel Good factor for those of us able to appreciate it!
  • [quote=dorothyd]Let's put all the miseries down[/quote]

Why who was being miserable Dorothy, somebody at the newsagent?

[quote=dorothyd]Feel Good factor for those of us able to appreciate it![/quote]

Yep for those able to appreciate it like say, Oh I know how I did The World Cup last summer even though lots of people moaned and griped and said they wish it was cancelled etc. Funny how supporting your country is terrible if it's football (the real Team England) but almost compulsory if it is to watch a stranger's wedding. I think a few double standards are being slipped in here.
  • [quote=SilentTony]If Americans love them so much let them have them.[/quote]
    All the Americans I know are bemused by the whole thing. They can't understand what the fuss is about.

And you're right, it does give a quaint but totally distorted view of the UK to the rest of the world.
  • friends in Vegas stayed up all night to watch it and loved it. My penfriend of over 40 years is a Royalist to her bones. The Americans generally love the Royal Family. Just like here, though, there are people who don't.
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=dorothyd]The Americans generally love the Royal Family. Just like here, though, there are people who don't.[/quote]

So you are saying that most of over three hundred million Americans love the royal family. Man that must have been some big survey. These are also the same people who thought the T-Mobile viral ad was footage from the real wedding, even though it was all dancing and the wedding hadn't even happened by then too? Or the same people who voted for Bush and love Sarah Palin. Well you're right even if by some miracle most of that vast country does love the royal family, sweeping statements aside, at least they have great taste and choice in people don't they.

It's all well and good to say you know somebody in America who loves the royal family so that represents the majority, but I know plenty of Americans who can't stand them and are bewildered as to why we put up with it. Anyway I don't care about anybody outside this country when it comes to opinion on the monarchy. They don't have to live with them or be misrepresented by them and even have a suppressed democracy because of them. We do.
  • [quote=kateyanne]Just thinking I don't think Catherine was wearing her/ Diana's engagement ring was she?[/quote]

She was, she was wearing it on her right hand...so she swapped hands.
  • edited April 2011
  • I think it's sad that some people see nothing but gloom and doom when they talk of our wonderful country. Yesterday will stay in our memories forever as a day the sun shone, we forgot our own problems for a few hours and joined together to share a young couples happiness. My husband said that perhaps we dhould adopt a system at border control where for every person keen to come into our country we should swap a dissenter and let them live in a country where they are oppressed and miserable.
    There was a piece on TV last night showing an anti royalist street party. The whole scene was grey and gloomy and miserably looking people wandered around with cans of beer in their hands.
    I say boo sucks to the blue meanies and the dementors who didn't enjoy yesterday, they cannot spoil it for us.

Time for us happy people who love our country to fight back!
  • With you all the way!
  • [quote= Pixie J. King]she was wearing it on her right hand...so she swapped hands.[/quote]
    Crikey, she's going to put the limb transplant surgeons outta business! :D (Sorry, Pixie, couldn't resist.)

I enjoyed watching the wedding from down here in Australia. The live telecast started at (my time) 5pm and finished around about 11:30pm so it was really convenient.
  • Thanks Pixie just been reading the paper and looking at all the photos and I see she did have it on but it was hidden most of the time beneath her bouquet.
  • IG, nice convenient time indeed. My friends in Vega were shattered!
    Kateyanne, aren't the photos superb?????
  • Yeah, because I asked my mum if she had it on, and when you looked as she was waving, you could see it, as I asked what she was wearing as something blue, and mum replied with the ring, so I said is she wearing it then? And then we saw it.
  • Yes, Dorothy they are brilliant.
  • edited April 2011
    Since when did not agreeing with parts of our country's make up equate to being miserable and a dissident? Also where does it say if you rejoice in one aspect of it then you are somehow better or love your country more? I must have missed that memo.

As I say in this site last summer many of the people who are claiming to love our country and the coming together through celebration due to the royal wedding were poo-pooing the World Cup and being pretty miserable about that. Does that mean those people are dissidents and should leave the country? Does it mean those people who moaned about street viewings for England games, Union Flags and St George flags flying from cars, houses and pubs as unsightly don't love our country?

What about others who say how much they resent the 2012 Olympics and would be happy if it was cancelled or have no interest, are they anti-GB too?

You see you can't just cherry pick what you personally believe represents us or makes us what we are. A nation is made up of diversity and each of those differences makes us strong and forever evolving. If I claim not to like an aspect of England or the UK it doesn't mean I dislike my country or I'm miserable, it means I love it enough to care. If other people, like those I mentioned, come out and say they dislike other aspects of the country I don't for a second believe they hate this nation either, I just think they dislike parts of it and aspects of how we celebrate here.

For all the flack I received over the World Cup last year, and there was a lot, I never turned around and called anybody ant-English or dissidents of our nation. I think there has been great hypocrisy over this and those who are culpable know who they are. So maybe they should take the time to reflect on how they treat others with a difference of opinion and have some respect in dealing with those who don't agree with their own ideas of what this country is or what makes us British.
  • [quote=kateyanne]I thought Mrs Cameron looked lovely 'didn't she do well' [/quote]

Yes she did, spectacularly beautiful. That green looked fabulous on her colouring.
  • I was wondering about the nuns too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382149/Royal-Wedding-Ninja-nun-sat-inches-Prince-William.html
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]
    Yes she did, spectacularly beautiful. That green looked fabulous on her colouring. [/quote]

I loved her green dress. The colour and design was incredible. Yet another one that I'd like in my wardrobe!
  • [quote=SilentTony]people who thought the T-Mobile viral ad was footage from the real wedding, even though it was all dancing and the wedding hadn't even happened[/quote]

I have just seen this video on a blog... and someone actually asked if that was really them! Yes of course it was them. William and Harry decided to leap frog down the aisle to 'House of Love'... of course it wasn't them... although they were very good lookalikes...

Someone on the same blog had to be told that the Queen Mother is not longer with us and that was in fact supposed to be the Queen!
  • [quote=SilentTony]Since when did not agreeing with parts of our country's make up equate to being miserable and a dissident? Also where does it say if you rejoice in one aspect of it then you are somehow better or love your country more? I must have missed that memo.[/quote]

I quoted something my husband said, I don't expect you to turn that into an arguement as well Tony.

It was a happy day and some people want to knock it. Sigh...
  • It was a great event but I particularly liked the flypast by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

But then the liking of aircraft displays is in my blood...
  • That was a great moment, Chippy, I have to say.
  • [quote=writebag]I quoted something my husband said, I don't expect you to turn that into an arguement as well Tony.[/quote]

Yet you still quoted it. If you thought it was irrelevant why post it? Also I didn't turn it into an argument, I expressed my opinion based on the post. What should I do never write anything ever in case somebody may think it is an argument even if it isn't?

The amount negativity I have been receiving far outweighs any people may feel I have produced. I'm also very worried about the amount of censoring called for on here at the moment and the way my personal opinions are twisted to make personal attacks and insults towards me. If we don't have the right to reply or the right to express on here then I'm afraid this forum has ceased to serve a purpose.
  • There is replying and there is replying...
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=Chippy]It was a great event but I particularly liked the flypast by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.[/quote]

Yes I do agree, I had a lump in my throat. Again, this makes me proud to be British.
  • [quote=writebag]There is replying and there is replying...[/quote]

And who sets that agenda?
  • I feel that this thread is getting a bit jumbled up. It started as a celebratory thread for all those people who wanted to chat happily about the wedding but somehow it seems to have been mixed up with royal and anti-royal debates. I feel that these would be better placed on a different thread, and that's not about segregating opinion but merely using a thread for the purpose for which it was intended. I know we go off-topic a lot on threads but this doesn't feel a particularly pleasant diversion for those of us who want to talk about the pleasures of the simple things in life, like dresses, pageantry and how beautiful the bride looks.

I don't think we wanted to return to a debate about the deeper royal issues, one which has already been expressed in a lot of depth here: http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?DiscussionID=174232&page=9#Item_2, with its 402 comments.

Can anyone who wants to return to the debate about the royal family, or anything else, please bump up the old thread or start a new one? We are trying to have a party here!

• I absolutely loved yesterday. I was feeling the love all day. It took me back to the day Diana married Charles. She would have been so proud. I also have high hopes that Princess Catherine will be a great role model for all the young girls today. Their more recent role models have been Big Boobs Jordan, Kerry Katona , and the like. Let's hope that Catherine, with all her class and syle, can be a real inspiration for the young girls and women today. I also think that William and Catherine will do great things for the Royal Family. They are modern and appear very nice. A friend of mine knows someone who works with William and knows him well. Apparently he is a really nice person.