Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Royal wedding- talk about it and celebrate here

Comments

• edited April 2011
    [quote=girl friday]it's been a very popular and profitable event.[/quote]

If they had eloped to a council registry office it would have saved more than it made though. So a bit like spending a pound to make ten bob.

I bet there is a huge part in both of them that wishes that could have been the case too.
  • [quote=Liz!]I mus be going blind, I can't see pixie's comments anywhere...[/quote]

me neither, Liz!
  • [quote=heather]Yes, St, but it doesn't have to be on this thread does it?[/quote]

Okay on this thread I have said a few things. 1. that my grandma had the same name and she was also called Kate. 2. That I think people should have more fun with their weddings and I bet the couple would love that too. 3. Agreeing that this thread should run the way it was intended. 4. Stating how I think the pressure is unfair on the young couple and maybe a smaller scale wedding or 'normal' wedding would have suited them better. 5. A joke about a seatbelt in Paris. As she is now too far into the family to get out and if it does fall apart then I hope she stays safe. 6. Issuing a counter claim that was made in an abrasive manner that this shows the world what we can do. I suggested that we are more than this. We are a nation of almost 70 million with great talents and assets and that is how the world should see us. It is not a nation of two. I feel more proud of the inventors and scientists than of any couple who are getting married. This wedding may make people proud and that is a personal choice. I just think we have far more and far better things to be proud of in this country that's all.

Now I look back god yes I really was moaning wasn't I. I mean sticking up for Kate, hoping the couple would be happy and survive the terrible pressure imposed upon them. Saying how a wedding should be fun and hoping the girl is safe if it all falls apart, as history has shown us this isn't always the case. Also I must slap my own hand for trying to be proud to be British and promote all the great things we have and do here. The same things I'm sure Kate and William are also proud of too.
  • Didn't think I would, but I've been glued to the telly all morning and enjoyed the spectacle.
  • I love all the pomp and circumstance and the obvious joy of so many people, happy for this couple. Also for the sense of being pat of an historic moment - the wedding of a future King. Whether or not he succeeds doesn't matter - at present he is second in line to the throne.

MY son even sat down and watched it!
  • Well they gave two kisses!

I am amazed at how many people there are in The Mall etc and so many young people. I think the monarchy will be around for quite a while.
  • for sure it will! Even in the local supermarket there were people draped in flags and memorabilia, to liven up the place. This is a magical moment for the monarchy and for England (for those who are prepared to join in, that is!)
  • It has been a wonderful event. Her dress was lovely and the simplicity of her hair, make-up and especially the veil suited her.
    Respect was shown at the Cenotaph on the way back too.
  • England.
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=dorothyd]This is a magical moment for the monarchy and for England [/quote]

Funny I thought this Great Britain, the UK. So is this wedding just for England then? That's probably why I feel so unenthusiastic about it then.

[quote=dorothyd]for those who are prepared to join in, that is![/quote]

Suggesting there is some sort of national betrayal if people choose not to participate in the celebrations??
  • England, Great Britian, The Commonwealth.
    However we choose to say it, it's still our nations wedding.
    and i've found myself a bit more interested than i thought i would be, i've been plesantly surprised :)
  • ST, with all due respect, I think that it might be a good idea if you started your own thread. As much as I agree to the right for everyone to have their own opinion, you seem to be determined to challenge the celebratory tone of this thread with your own contradictory views. We are trying to have our own little party here and perhaps you need to go and have your own anti-wedding protest somewhere else.

I remember that we have a very long thread somewhere around the time of the royal engagement announcement during which a lot of views were shared and you voiced similar arguments to the ones you're writing now. I feel that we have already covered these in some depth and we don't need to regurgitate them. Today is a party and a magical moment for those who wish to participate in it.

So, either pull up a chair and help yourself to champagne and cake or escape from the wedding hype in solitary peace somewhere. The only person you seem to be debating with is yourself anyway.
  • Tony stop being so argumentative!

I've not watched it other than the balcony bit as I was trying to avoid it. Thought she looked lovely though.
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=girl friday]you seem to be determined to challenge the celebratory tone of this thread with your own contradictory views.[/quote]

Again I ask point them out. I have said nothing but good wishes, happiness and safety for the couple. Is that contradictory to your views? Are you saying you wish them unhappiness, ill will and danger? Because they are the contradictory views of my own.

[quote=girl friday]The only person you seem to be debating with is yourself anyway.[/quote]
    Yep and all the people prodding and insulting me.

[quote=girl friday]ST, with all due respect, I think that it might be a good idea if you started your own thread. As much as I agree to the right for everyone to have their own opinion, you seem to be determined to challenge the celebratory tone of this thread with your own contradictory views.[/quote]

So it has come to the point where a ghettoisation of ideas is now being promoted. I don't believe in segregation of any sort so I find that suggestion to be abhorrent. Anyway such anti-egalitarianism would create a brain drain situation like Germany suffered after the division of that nation. I wouldn't want to deny you of my wisdom like that now would I?*

*=a joke not to be interpreted as anything other than a proverbial tongue stuck in an equally proverbial cheek. This disclaimer is to ensure such comments are not taken out of context or used against me in unfavourable discussion as in previous instances.
  • ST, if you don't want to celebrate fine, but please don't spoil this thread for those who do.
  • The Queen looked lovely in her yellow outfit . I didn't like what Princess Anne was wearing much.
    I thought Tony Blair and Gordon Brown should have been invited really. They are past prime ministers afterall.
  • Sorry ST, I won't prod you any more.

Here you go. Peace offering:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/girlfriday31/cake-slice-champagne.png
  • Anyone got any street party pics yet?
  • [quote=kateyanne]The Queen looked lovely in her yellow outfit .[/quote]

I thought so too. I was a bit worried because she had a blue fleece blanket over her legs in the car on the way there but she seemed fine when she stepped out. I had to laugh a bit when the guards opened both doors of her car, both saluted, and the Queen followed Prince Phillip out of the door on his side of the car! I can't believe how fit, healthy and mobile they are for people who are 85 and 90 respectively. Amazing.
  • [quote=Carol]ST, if you don't want to celebrate fine, but please don't spoil this thread for those who do.[/quote]

Jesus H Christ. Seriously is there something in the water today as everybody seems to have gone slightly off kilter. I have not been spoiling it or arguing or any other such thing. All I have done is offer my thoughts, all of which were pro-the couple and their happiness. I was attacked and argued AGAINST so did the natural thing and defended myself.

It seems to me that people on TB can throw insults, be abusive, argue and make false claims against a person all without any comeback. But once a person stands up and says 'hold on I'm not having that', they are then ganged up on and told to change their behaviour.

Please somebody show me where I have been 'argumentative', if that doesn't mean argue against insults, or accusations thrown at me first. I have done nothing on here differently than anybody else. Yet somehow I'm the bad guy.
  • Calm down, dear.:)
  • [quote=SilentTony]It seems to me that people on TB can throw insults, be abusive, argue and make false claims against a person all without any comeback. But once a person stands up and says 'hold on I'm not having that', they are then ganged up on and told to change their behaviour.[/quote]

That's why I decided to leave TB dome months back to claim back some reality. I have rarely posted in that time, and even now, I feel very angry with circumstances that pushed me to that decision, especially the 'make false claims' bit by people who really should have known better. Only now I feel I might want to contribute again. Might.

Anyway, I was not going to watch the wedding, but ended up doing so, and it was pleasant, which surprised me. And people have enjoyed themselves, especially those, like me, who had the day off.
  • GF I agree I thought the Queen looked very agile I was worried when they had to climb those steps into the carriage.
  • [quote=kateyanne]Calm down, dear.[/quote]

Ha ha that made me laugh. Cross referencing threads to make a joke is funny. I liked it.
  • Ooh, the couple are leaving the palace in a minute! Can't wait.
  • [quote=SilentTony]Seriously is there something in the water today as everybody seems to have gone slightly off kilter.[/quote]
    Everyone's had too much bubbly and wedding cake, methinks. Many weddings end in a punch up!

I saw about twenty minutes of it in all - her dress was lovely, and she is a good looking girl.
  • Hope they do another walkabout
  • [quote=kateyanne]I was worried when they had to climb those steps into the carriage[/quote]

Yes, I noticed how much it rocked when that guard stepped into it beforehand to check something. I could only hope that because he was a big guard, that the smaller queen would cause less motion as she climbed in. It didn't look a very sturdy carriage...
  • seeing them leave will be lovely - hope we see the re-entry for the evening celebrations
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=flyingtart]and she is a good looking girl.[/quote]

I'll certainly agree on that one. Not seen the dress but do love a nice wedding gown. My only hope is that she doesn't become too royalified. They seem to have a way of making them all look, dress and act the same. The girl seems to have her own style and a bit of an edge about her. Let's hope she can cling on to some of that. Also she looks so much better with a bit more weight so let's hope the Di eating disorder to conform doesn't hit her too.
  • Did you hear Boris Johnson say he gave them a tandem for their wedding present? They might come out on that!
  • [quote=Lolli]seeing them leave will be lovely[/quote]

It was lovely. A very touching moment.
  • Yes that was a surprise. He has a real sense of fun like his mum
  • [quote=SilentTony]Also she looks so much better with a bit more weight so let's hope the Di eating disorder to conform hits her too.[/quote]

Rather than 'have a go', I'll merely ask if you really meant to say that, ST?
  • That car was sooooooooooooo good!
  • Yeah I mean everything I say (well 51/49).
  • [quote=Lolli]That car was sooooooooooooo good! [/quote]

It was perfect for the occasion.
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=SilentTony]Yeah I mean everything I say (well 51/49). [/quote]

so you want her to come down with an eating disorder? I can see you have now edited -but perhaps as I said on another thread you should be more careful what you write! :)
  • edited April 2011
    Ha ha no now I know what you mean. Check again I edited it because I missed out the negative. Wondered what the hell you had to complain about now. Also I kind of think by reading the whole post and how much credit I was giving her as a woman and a person you should really have know that I would not have said that.

edit- As you did say on the other thread that no matter if I wrote what I meant people would take it differently. I wrote about four or five lines about how I thought Katie seemed to be a nice girl and gave credit to some of her personal attributes. The line that followed which I missed a word from was a continuation of that thought and offered concern about her. To say that a full post giving her credit can be twisted because even in a line that was giving her credit I made a typo is symptomatic of a problem I have and proves your point is quite frankly ridiculous. Maybe you want to get your head out of whatever bag it is in and start reading things in context rather than being too quick to judge based on the user who is posting rather than the content provided.

I wish no harm on any person and never have. Well with the exception of Thatcher that is.
  • Although many hundreds of miles away, and only able to watch using a rather jumpy internet connection, I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of it.
    The pomp, the ceremony, the privacy as well.
    All those Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and of course the members of the civilian security forces lined up and doing their job.
    Not to mention all those thousands of people working on the sidelines and in the background to make sure everything works according to protocol and, most importantly, safely.
    The myriads of people, not only on in London but all over the world, who celebrated and are still celebrating.
    The street parties, the big screen in New York under that bridge.
    Simply wonderful how so many people joined in to make this day a super special day for not only the two young and obviously in love people, but also for all those on this earth who understand what such a monarchy means.
    I agree that a monarchy often meant, as one or two people here have already copiously hinted at, the rich having a ball at the expense of the people, but that was in the past.
    Today is different.
    The Royal Family are an institution that serves the country as a whole. They represent something that has more tradition than almost anything else in the world. They are also dedicated to serving their country.

The Queen and The Royal Family are a very important part of what "Britain" means to the world.
    The members of that family know that their every move, every action, is noted and recorded, spread on all the tabloids, and monitored very closely by everyone.
    I think it is very brave of the new Princess to accept that her life is no longer her's. As they say, "Love changes everything".

I wish both of them, and the institution of our monarchy, good luck and success for the future.

They are, in my opinion, what the country needs for the future.
    They are part of what makes Britain what it is today, and hopefully for many years in the future.
    Without them we are simply a country that has a colourful past (in both good and bad) but also a country without any decisive future.
    We become "mediocre".
    We cease to be "Great Britain".
  • We watched it all on BBC and thought it was a lovely wedding, with a beautiful, happy bride in a gorgeous wedding dress and a handsome, also happy bridegroom. When they both smiled, the world seemed a happier and brighter place. The devotion and happiness of the crowd present was infectious and everyone from every part of the globe was pleased to have made the effort to come here and partake, even minimally, in this happy occasion when two young people started their married life, one hopes and as they said, 'till death us do part'. Here endeth my lesson!!!

There were some lovely outfits. I thought Sam Cam did look lovely in that dress, but could not understand why she didn't choose to wear a hat. Whenever I go to a wedding, I love to choose one. It was interesting to see that there were a lot of proper hats and the day of the fascinators appears to have passed. The only hat I didn't like was the one worn by one of Prince Andrew's daughters - it was like a huge neon sign, without the colour!
    Kate's brother seemed to know the lesson by heart and read it very well, without any nerves.
  • Perhaps Sam Cam doesn't like hats. I hate them and they really don't suit me. I wore a small fascinator at my son's wedding.
  • edited April 2011
    Silent Tony, can I ask you a question which may seem personal to you for I am far from happy about your attitude to the monarchy. I know it is a free country and I could be wrong in the way I am reading between the lines but I get a distinct suspicion that you are a republican. If we did not have a monarchy, can I ask you one other question, who on earth would you have as a President. Countries such as Germany, France, USA etc who do not have a monarchy, are envious of us having one. Second point, where you have a monarchy, you have stability so I would like you to take these points on board. I would not leave TB as I enjoy the odd time when I can pop my head around the door and I find it very supportive but bearing on the thread by Gully, I find that ST needs to get rid of his general miserable streak. When Britain celebrates anything to do with Royalty and the monarchy, we do it well. This is a couple that is down to earth and it is fresh blood that is I admit, much needed and could restore faith in people like yourself, ST. I reckon they want to emulate the royalty in places like Holland, Denmark and Norway where they almost merge with the general public. This last Christmas, the Queen boarded an ordinary train to travel to Sandringham, nobody realised she was there, she just merged with the public and not a hair was turned. Yes, might be a wee bit risky with security but if people keep quiet and not say anything, the royals should be perfectly OK. If you focus the torch beam on to them, then you are going to attract undesirables. That is no aspertion to you ST but the monarchy is actually moving rapidly into the twenty first century and good on them!

There is quite a lot of difference between Charlie's marriage and this one, ST. First of all, they were both pushed into it unfortunately by the Queen mother and her lady in waiting. She was too young and totally unsuitable for him. They were all in a hurry to marry him off. This one is different. They met at uni like so many potential couples. I have friends who met each other at Uni and they got together on their own free wil. Yes they had a period of separation and that is no bad thing so they could be sure if this was right for them, better to have it during that period before they tied the knot than after. Third, ST, she attended one of the best schools as well so she obviously has intelligence and that family worked their socks off, she included. There is no reason with support why it should not work so let us be hopeful instead of looking beneath the skin for something malignant. For once ST, raise your glass of wine or bubbly and wish them well, they need all the support they can get.
  • I think Woll, you need to read what ST actually wrote before you berate him.
    [quote=SilentTony]Again I ask point them out. I have said nothing but good wishes, happiness and safety for the couple.[/quote]
  • Does anyone know where the happy couple are going for their honeymoon?
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=Woll22]but I get a distinct suspicion that you are a republican.[/quote]

No mystery I've stated this many times on this very forum.

[quote=Woll22]Countries such as Germany, France, USA etc who do not have a monarchy, are envious of us having one.[/quote]

Do you have facts and figures to support that?

[quote=Woll22]where you have a monarchy, you have stability[/quote]

Not always the case and in fact probably the very opposite is true. Most wars in history have been fought over or by monarchs. The existence of nations and countries is due to so much instability of kings and queens through history. If you mean the modern monarchy however then yes there is stability. But that is due to them having no power and the western world having a collective idealism toward peace and prosperity. The only reason we have stability with a monarchy now is that they have been neutered to become nothing more than a show piece in a display cabinet. The second they did do anything of any worth or of any meaning they would be shut down immediately.

[quote=Woll22]I find that ST needs to get rid of his general miserable streak.[/quote]

I think you are making presumptions there. I am very, very far from miserable I can tell you. However if I recall correctly most of your own posts are usually about the plight and friction between you and your mother. One could take a stab at that and say you seem to be quite miserable and down. However in most of those instances I have offered support, advice and comfort to you. Nice to see this is how that is repaid.

[quote=Woll22]When Britain celebrates anything to do with Royalty and the monarchy, we do it well. [/quote]

Of course we do we love a good party here and are the best in the world at it.

[quote=Woll22]and could restore faith in people like yourself, ST.[/quote]

Nothing to restore as I have never had any faith in the monarchy. I don't dislike them as people, well a few I do, so it is not about them being nice or nasty, it is about an anti-democratic institution that is in place in our country.

[quote=Woll22]This last Christmas, the Queen boarded an ordinary train to travel to Sandringham, nobody realised she was there, she just merged with the public and not a hair was turned. [/quote]

Yep she was in a normal carriage squashed next to a Stella drinking businessman and a crying baby on his mother's lap. Wonder if she knew how to work the locking system on the sliding doors of the loo.

[quote=Woll22]That is no aspertion to you ST but the monarchy is actually moving rapidly into the twenty first century and good on them![/quote]

I'd say they are growing more irrelevant than ever. Of course an occasion like this will drive some interest and support. Look at any soap opera wedding for example, EastEnders has a massive rise in viewing figures when there is a wedding and more people buy OK and Hello magazine when a footballer or reality TV star gets hitched.

Hope that answered some of your questions. If you have any other enquiries please don't hesitate to ask, I'm all ears. Bit like Prince Charles in that respect.
  • my daughter, an (up to now) devoted Republican, watched the entire wedding and loved every moment of it. Spectacle and splendour, love radiant and happiness showered everywhere. The 96 year old she watched it with loved it too.
  • As a republican I have also attended many weddings and loved them. I've attended some and been bored to tears too mind. Never realised enjoying weddings and being a republican were mutually exclusive.
  • they're not.
    It's just that most republicans, my ex being one of them, refuse to have anything to do with anything Royal.
    Is that so hard to see?