Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problems with Talkback

Comments

• Started a new account Webbo and it's clearing thread counts after I visit each thread.

So it's not my computer or software setup that's causing the problem by the looks of it.

How bizarre...

(bored_robots)
  • Great stuff (or not so great, depending on how you look at it!). Thanks for trying.
    So that means it's definitely something particular to your account, and even then, only sometimes. Now we've narrowed down where to start looking, I'll see if we can find something unusual going on.
  • Webbo, I have the same problem and have done for a while. Is it worth my while making a second account aswell?
  • Yes StF, please give that a go and let me know if the new account works okay.
  • The quotes are acting up again - I quoted one person, but it was attributed to another here - http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=180144&page=1#Comment_5469452
  • I tried to do a quote, funnily enough of PM above on the copyright thread, and was thrown off the thread.
  • [quote=Liz!]I tried to do a quote, funnily enough of PM above on the copyright thread, and was thrown off the thread.[/quote]

I'm having the same problem.
  • No problems here. Have quoted Dora, BR and Amanda successfully.
  • I always get thrown off PM's thread when I quote (I think the apostrophe doesn't like commoners)

I'm glad Anna has quoted me succssfully. Wouldn''t want the meaning of any of MY words twisted.
  • Sorry Webbo, just seen your comment. The link to "Acid Shampoo" has stopped working by the way... :-(
  • Is it me or is the search thing not working? I put the topic in, it lists options for about 2 seconds and they disappear again!
  • [quote=dora]think the apostrophe doesn't like commoners[/quote] Webbo doesn't think that's the problem - but if dropping it will help, I don't mind doing that.
  • Just tried to quote you Phots on the blog thread and it threw me out too!
  • I have a problem quoting PM, too.
    The apostrophe becomes #78.

Phot's Moll - you're so unique, you're unquotable!
    (Now there's a book title for you; "The Unquotable Phot's Moll")
  • Vampires can't be seen in a mirror, ghosts can't be filmed, I can't be quoted. Be afraid people.
  • Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

"runs a mile"
  • Come off it, Dora: 100 yards, downhill, with a following wind, maybe!
  • Webbo - i am trying to post a post and it won't let me - it's quite along post and I've lost it twice now, and has just posted without any info...
  • I posted there LIz, looking for your comment.
  • Liz, you might need to split it up into two posts...
  • Hmm.... some 'new post' figures are in black. These go to zero when I look at them and return to 'discussions'. Others are in red, as normal, but remain as unread when I look at them and return to 'discussions'. And others still are a negative quantity! (eg 'new posts -8') Woss appnin?
  • eg 'Limerick Lines new -88'
  • If you look back through the thread Anna, you'll probably locate Webbo's helpful suggestions to other TB's who were experiencing this type of problem.
  • Sorted. Thanks, Carol. (Went into my account and reset the read status.)
  • H Webbo, no problems, just query - when, eventually, new Talkback is rolled out, I am worried that i might lose my frog. I'm rather fond of him. But I have no idea how I got him and what his address is. Is there any way of finding out?
  • Liz if you go into your account settings you will find the URL of the picture in the appropriate section.
    Neph did mine, did she do yours too?
  • No, I did it myself. I'm sure I can find it again if needed, it's just I don't want to find I can't keep him - if I see him, will I be able to get him back, that sort of thing.

But I have just got his URL from the appropriate place, thanks carol! Just hope I don't forget where I put it...
  • You could post the URL here, Liz! - I think these discussions will be carried over, so you'll be able to track it down.
  • edited January 2012
    Sorry, I looked into this before but didn't realise I hadn't replied. And it's a good job really, cos it didn't dawn on me then, but it has now! If you view the page source (it's always an option in one of the menus but different on every browser), you can sift through all the gubbins and gobbledigook to locate: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/skagirl22/Icons/animal_toad.gif

EDIT: smart system displays as image straight away! The url is [url]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/skagirl22/Icons/animal_toad.gif[/url]
  • Webbo.
    I've just tried twice to post a message on Midia's thread about an online publisher, but everytime press submit, I'm getting an error message on a white background page- with a message for support personnel.
  • I managed okay... grr, it's like the system deliberately hides problems from me.
    Wonder if it will work okay now I've posted message number 2. Otherwise, perhaps a logout and back in might work, if you haven't already tried it.
  • Thanks Webbo.
  • I logged out and back in, and the message posted this time. :0
  • What's happened to all the little pictures. Even Webbo's seems to be missing as are several others.
  • I'm impressed. Ask the question and mine reappears :-) Not all of them. though.
  • It's probably a caching thing Richt, should all repopulate eventually I think
  • *keeping off this thread if there's a chance of 'caching' something and there's going to be a population explosion *
  • edited January 2012
    problem solved :)
  • This afternoon, every time I clicked on TB, I got a box with /js/global,js in it and an OK button to click - which I didn't. I'm blaming solar flares.
  • I had it too - had to click through 14 messages every time I loaded a new TB page.
  • That was the problem I resolved by rebooting my machine.
  • Didn't do that with mine, it just stopped. But another issue I have is that when I click on Dora's link about the photo in the Radio Times, the view's spoilt by a big red cross.
  • edited January 2012
    [quote=Mutley]That was the problem I resolved by rebooting my machine.[/quote]

Nothing like giving something a boot every now and then ! ;)

rofl @ "red cross"
    :):):)
  • I posted a comment yesterday but today it's not there! Is that a common problem or has it been removed?

This the link to the missing post!
    http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=177671&page=1#Item_44
  • edited January 2012
    Leizure- sometimes there are intermittent problems where this happens- and it doesn't happen to everyone. I lost a couple of posts yesterday this way.
    Webbo hasn't been able to find an answer previously.
    But it usually only lasts a day or two and it's then okay for ages.

If a post is removed one of the moderators would usually leave a message saying they'd done so.

I've always found that if you re-post the disappeared message it will work the second time.
    :)
  • Thanks Carol, I fell less victimized :)
  • I'm trying to add personal information and it says : problem encountered the user name you have entered in already in use. Do I need to change my user name?
  • Try logging off, clearing cookies and then log back in again and try it.
    If that doesn't work then tell Webbo- easiest thing is to click report post and someone will help you.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi ana, I take it your username was not among the things you were trying to change?! Looks like the system's getting a bit confused. Somehow, there are two accounts with your name, which shouldn't have happened in the first place. I suspect what it's trying to do is apply your changes from the account "ana" to the other account "ana" and then realising it's not allowed!
    If you were happy to, changing the user name ought to "fix" it.