Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problems with Talkback

Comments

• Bertieb, I've just tried the film rights thread and it takes me straight to it- nowhere else.

Have you tried clearing your cookies, cache etc? And then coming back into TB and seeing if it happens again.
  • Carol, does the title of that thread come up with 2 pages, as in Film Rights, [1,2]? It's the 2 that brings up BLZ and now PBW.
  • A lot of threads are showing [ 1 2 ] but don't have enough comments to fill a page.

For instance The New Dr Who Assistant... [ 1 2 ]

Only has 1 comment!
  • I'd noticed this, sort of...
    curiously, clicking the thread title works fine, then you can get to p2 from the links at the bottom. is anyone getting anything other than that point(less) thread?
    I have a quick solution but not sure whether it'll work!
  • Okay, looks like that did the trick... threads now displaying correct page numbers and linking correctly?
    Wonder if it was some massively coincidental string of / and . in that one thread that broke the database?
  • That's better - no rogue page 2s to be seen. Thanks, Webbo. (Computers are such sensitive little things, aren't they?)
  • Only just got back in and onto the computer, so glad Webbo could resolve the issue.
  • Just posting this to see if I can. It won't let me add a comment to a thread:(
  • Did you get sorted Jen? Which thread was it?
  • Is there any chance of Tapatalk functionality beind added for the forum, to make access easier on mobile devices?

http://www.tapatalk.com/

I believe that activation is free, as long as the forum is compatible.
  • Interesting question Jon. I'll see if we're compatible!
  • Funky! Your assessment is eagerly anticipated!
  • Sorry Jon, no go for now (but we are promised a new forum system sometime this decade, so hopefully that'll be some help)
  • Haha! Cool. One shall look forward to it. :P
  • Webbo, Live Search is becoming unusable. I tried yesterday and just now- I type in the words I'm looking for, it comes up with answers and before I can choose the one I want, the choices are gone.
  • interesting. The Livesearch does populate for me, after a small wait, but the results don't disappear before I get to them. Please could you tell me your operating system, browser and version number (eg Windows Vista, Firefox 12)
    Thanks
  • I'm using IE9, with Windows 7 Professional, Webbo. Thanks.
  • Hadn't noticed this facility until I've just read the posts about it on here.
    Have tried it and nothing happened, but I shan't miss it as I didn't know it was there ... ...
    :)
  • Depending on what you're searching for it can be slow...:)
  • Never had any problems with it.
  • edited May 2012
    My icon/avatar/picture has disappeared. Looks like some others have gone, too.
  • Is it possible to have a new line put automatically after the Quote function has been used? At present it can be difficult to work out where the Quote finishes and where the new comment starts as often they're on the same line.
  • edited May 2012
    Have Discussions started and Comments added disappeared from users' profiles?
  • edited May 2012
    No, I can still see them! eg http://talkback.writers-online.co.uk/account.php?u=319&award=1 in both the user details and the left hand column (below Start a new discussion)
    Refresh the page?
  • edited May 2012
    Sorry. I meant 'totals'. Can you see those?
  • Is this d
  • Think we might have covered something similar, now you mention it! What would "Totals" be? The total number of comments added and discussions started are in the main column, eg:
    Discussions Started 766
    Comments Added 19398

20,000 comments added? Blimey.
  • Yep, me being thick again. (I keep typing 'think'.)
  • [quote=Carol] it can be slow...[/quote]

Eeeh by gum, the forum can be S-L-O-W sometimes.

I hate to complain, but...

One assumes that if users online reach a critical number, the poor old server groans under the weight.
  • I've noticed the forum being slow sometimes, but I put it down to busy times of the day for the internet in general, as I have exactly the same problem at the same time with another forum, and also with Facebook.
  • Is it my imagaination/computer, but is anyone else being taken to the top of a thread instead of back to the main discussion board?
  • Yes, but it seems to do it at random, and depends on which thread one is looking at.
  • It's just done it on a new (short) thread. Unless it's so slow I think it's stopped midway.
  • The competition entry section was running very slowly all evening. Think I enterred the last line comp OK, but only saw a message saying my details had been updated, nothing about the entry having been uploaded/recieved. Could you confirm you have it. Cheers.
  • Hi PM, was it the Atrocious first line you were entering?
  • We got it!
  • It's running slow today- other websites aren't, so is there anything wrong with the site, Webbo?
    Taking much longer than usual to go back to the main page after looking at a thread.
  • I have the same problem today, Carol - the site is hanging, wherever I go.
  • Glad it isn't just me.
  • I can assure that it isn't only TB. Two other sites I use are slow today, and also Facebook as well.
  • Perhaps they all use the same server...
  • Using the same server? Tut. Just can't get the staff these days.
  • The One-Word Challenge thread seems to be having trouble updating my access - the number of 'new' continues to read the same as the total, despite me having read them all.
  • In fact none of the threads seem to be updating. 7 'unread' in the One Word Challenge thread, (I've read them all). Similar situation in all the other threads (the ones I've read, anyway). Not a huge problem, but would be nice if it were fixed!
  • Problem still there. Is anybody listening?
  • Sorry for delay richt - definitely listening! But no real answer yet I'm afraid.
  • Problem still remains. Any answers yet?
  • Doesn't see like there are any answers yet, richt.

What difference does it make anyway - if you know you have read the threads, why do you need to be told by the site ?

(Just a thought - feel free to ignore me)
    ;)
  • That's OK for 'one-off' threads - read it and never come back to it, but where a thread is ongoing (One Word Challenge etc) you don't know if there are any posts in it that you haven't read yet, and you have to scroll through them all until you get to the last one you read. But mostly, of course, it is because there is a function that you used to benefit from which no longer works. Therefore something must have gone wrong!
  • [quote=richt]Therefore something must have gone wrong![/quote]

Right - I understand you.
    Weren't me !!
    *sneaks out with tail between legs*