Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problems with Talkback

Comments

• Problem still there. Interesting that updating works on the Useful Websites thread, but not on the One Word Challenge thread. Haven't tried any others - am avoiding until sorted.
  • Sorry richt, I can't reproduce it, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Have you tried emptying your cache and (as a last resort) deleting the cookie?
  • Cleaning your disk might help too.
  • Yes, done all that! Could it have something to do with the fact that I access Talkback from two different devices, my desktop computer and an Android tablet? The problem only started when I started using the tablet.
  • That could be possible. Does it manifest itself the same way on the PC and the tablet?
  • Yes. Exactly the same.
  • Aha! Went into 'Account' and clicked on 'Reset discussion status' and hey presto, seems back to normal!
  • Ooh great! Presumably that will have wiped your previously read counts, etc, but if it gets them working again going forward, huzzah! Let me know if it comes back though.
  • Thank goodness for that! I was getting quite stressed for you, richt!
  • Webbo - it doesn't even seem to have wiped my previously read counts. Everything seems totally normal.
  • [quote=richt]Everything seems totally normal. [/quote]
    You can't be on Talback, then, Richt - nothing is normal here! (But jolly good, all the same.)
  • I don't know what has happened but there appears to be some problems with this site. I went into categories then get a very strange result with minute writing then at the bottom, just Off Topic. Has anyone else been through this?
  • No. Have you tried clearing your cache, and cookies etc.
    I've occasionally had problems with sites if a page hasn't loaded properly- bits in the wrong place and such. If you clean out the cookies and browser cache, then try again and see if it still happens.
  • Funnily enough that just happened to me, carol - down at the bottom of the comments box the 'post your comment' and 'preview post' buttons are separate from the writing!

However, I've never cleaned my cache on the server I use all the time for fear of losing my browsing history, which i need to find out where i've ben, sometimes weeks ago as I forget sites. So I'm not going to start now. And I'll nevr forget all my passwords.

There must be another way.
  • Plus it's a bit weird this has happened all at once to me AND Woll - and never before this! Surely it means it's a site problem?
  • Sometimes it can be a site problem, Liz, but when it's fixed it may be your computer is going to it by the history and as your last visit may have been when there was a problem, it may not load the page correctly, so you see things like this.

I know you have a Mac, so I'm not sure how your system works, so don't know if you can clean cookies the same way as IE. I can select parts that I don't want to clean if needbe.
  • Have cleared cache and got rid of every cookie, necessitating the very irritating having to log in everywhere - but it's still the same. Weirdly - on Chrome the boxes for the words 'Post your Comments' etc are rounded, the comments will never fit in them, on firefox they are square...
  • The input boxes are defined by the browser, not the site, which is why Firefox's/Chrome's/etc are consistent across all sites, but not with each other.
    Just a thought, prompted by you saying the words don't fit the buttons, have you tried altering the text size? (From the "View" menu.)
  • Webbo it's 14.40 on Sunday the 28th.
    Just tried using the live search and it wasn't working, just flicked and returned to the normal side bar appearance and a blank search box.
  • Ok - have just zoomed out - and now they fit in. BUT - they always used to fit in, and i always have my browser set HUGE. Otherwise I can't see! And this now is smaller than normal.
  • Ok - have just zoomed out - and now they fit in.

BUT - they always used to fit in, and I always have my browser set HUGE. Otherwise I can't see!

And this now is smaller than normal.

I complained to my publisher about text going over other text and it was suggested then that it was because I had the font size too big - but the font size should change as well as everything else - and their web people did change it so it worked.
  • Probably no consolation, Liz, but I've just logged on to this thread to report the very same problem. It used to work perfectly until I rebooted the Mac a week or so ago, now the writing is outside the boxes. Exactly the same thing happened on a different site yesterday, but some sites look fine. Talkback works properly on Firefox, but I like to use Chrome for Message Boards.

I've looked at the code for the page to see if I can work out what's wrong. The submit button is of class "Button SubmitButton AddCommentsButton", but the page accesses so many CSS files it might take me the rest of my life to find the one that contains this class, so I've decided to live with it.
  • Webbo, just had a question from someone on the unofficial FB group for TB...

How do they retrieve their username if they have forgotten it?
  • Good question, and embarrassingly, a fairly standard feature that we seem to be missing... funny, I'm sure we used to have it as a link on the signin window.
    Anyway, ask your friend to email me with postcode and I'll find out manually.
  • I still want to know how HEEE, ie BR, managed to squeeze in here when WEEEE ie us lot, were shut out.

Hmmm?

"taps foot, crosses arms over chest and frowns"
  • What's up with the server today? Has it swallowed a bulk load too quickly?
  • I've had problems with other sites for the past two weekends, some very slow.
  • Sorry if this has been asked before but. When I read a discussion then go back to the main list it doesn't clear the new comments tag until I click on "Mark all as read".
    Any ideas why anybody....
  • edited April 2013
    No idea.
    I've clicked to draw Webbo's attention to your query. He may be able to help.
  • Thanks Carol, It wasn't like it at first it just started after I started my Carpe Momento post.
  • I find with a lot of websites that problems occur after they've had an update, or there have been Java or Adobe updates...
    Of course it may just be my computer is strange. ;)
  • That's one thing I can't blame my computer because I access the site from about 20 different pc's depending where I am working and it's the same on all of them..
  • May be how you've got your settings on here then...
  • No I don't think so because I didn't change anything and sometimes it's okay?
  • You need Webbo then. :)
  • I think so!!
  • When I had that problem, I went into my Account and clicked on 'Reset Discussion Status'. That worked for me (though you'd expect the opposite result).
  • Thanks richt I'll try that...
  • [quote=richt]When I had that problem, I went into my Account and clicked on 'Reset Discussion Status'. That worked for me (though you'd expect the opposite result).[/quote]
    Thanks richt, it done the trick..
  • How odd: I logged on as usual, and got this:
    Oops! We couldn’t find this page for you.

This page that you are looking for does not exist anymore. Please use the navigation above to find your destination.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Writers Online Team
  • Mrs Bear I've clicked the report post button so Webbo knows. It may be the IT department moving stuff of course...:)
  • Interesting - which page were you coming into Mrs B? Was it a bookmark, Google search or just typing URL?
  • It was a bookmark, to whit https://www.writers-online.co.uk/
    And this time when I used the self-same log-on bookmark, it went straight to the page.
  • Ah, glad it worked this time. Suspect somebody tinkering under the bonnet
  • Look for the oily fingerprints around the office...
  • A friend has applied for membership of Talkback a couple of days ago, but has heard nothing yet to say she has been accepted. I said she should check her spam folder in case any possible email has gone adrift there, but still nothing. I wonder, Webbo, if I whispered my friend's name and email address to you, if you could possibly check to see if her application has got through?
  • Today - Sunday - is the third day I have had the "Welcome guest!" page and had to sign in.
    This normally happens only once every 3 or 4 weeks. Is there a problem?
  • edited August 2013
    I get that every time unless I leave the page without signing out.

It may be their system has a time limit, and after that it logs you off as a security measure.
  • OH. same happened today, but when I signed in I ticked the "Remember me" box.
    Perhaps that'll do it.