Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• Bunderlin by (our very own) Robert Crompton.

It's really very good; easy to sink into and I love the characters, AND it's part of the Smashwords FREE - yes, FREE - promotion.

If you haven't got a copy yet, you should make the effort - it would be silly to miss out on something good.
  • The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

American legal-beagle thriller. A refreshing change from my recent reading diet. Enjoying it hugely.
  • edited July 2013
    [quote=JohnWho63]The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey.[/quote]
    This is an astoundingly good read. I have already sent recommendations to some here via Good Reads. If you aren't one of them, then I recommend it to you here instead. I absolutely loved it.
  • [quote=JohnWho63]I have already sent recommendations to some here via Good Reads[/quote]
    What is "Good Reads" John?
  • edited July 2013
    [quote=jimholmes6]What is "Good Reads" John?[/quote]
    The link is here Jim, which will tell all. Basically it's a way that people who love to read can exchange views about the books they are reading, and rate or review them. You can also send or receive recommendations for books to/from your friends. I was sceptical of it at first, but it's good fun. You'll find there are quite a few people here and on Facebook who use it.
    http://www.goodreads.com/
  • Thanks John, I will have a look..
  • Willow the Vampire by Maria Thermann, an indie author who I've met elsewhere in cyberspace.

The concept is absolutely marvellous, the characters are hugely enjoyable. TBH, I think the book would benefit from the attentions of a good editor in the sense of line-editing, which would make it sparkle like the Koh-i-noor diamond, but basically, it's got huge potential and the author is very witty. The black humour is sublime.
  • Wife 22, by Melanie Gideon.
  • Different Seasons by Stephen King, a book of his novellas. I'm going to see a play of The Shawshank Redemption at the Fringe and want to read the novella first.
  • I have just read G K Chesterton: The man who knew too much and The man called Thursday. The 2nd is slow starting but becomes very exciting towards the end. I may read The innocence of Father Brown. I downloaded for free Classic Mystery Collection (100 plus books and stories). The Chesterton stories are in this as are many of the classics (wouldn't guess that from the title would you?).

JohnWho63 - surely one Wife is enough? ;)
  • Just finished Losing Lucy by our very own Viv and reviewed it on Amazon.

Now reading a startling biography about the orphanages in the Ceaucescu regime in Romania by another good friend. Actually, she is also a Writing Magazine short story winner.

It's available on Amazon Kindle and from the end of this month in print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunlight-through-the-Shadows-ebook/dp/B00DZRRQ3Y by Rita Trotman

I helped her do her Kindle upload.
  • Just finished "Different Seasons" by Stephen King, containing four very different novellas. Shawshank Redemption was exceptional, probably the best short story I have ever read. "The Body" (the basis of the film Stand by Me) was a little disappointing as I felt the film had a bit more substance, though the different ending was interesting. The final story "The Breathing Method" was the only horror of the lot and I really enjoyed the subject matter and the world King created but felt it should have been a novel, it barely touched its own potential in my opinion.

Next is The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
  • [quote=forget-me-not]Shawshank Redemption was exceptional, probably the best short story I have ever read.[/quote]

Agreed.
  • [quote=jimholmes6]What is "Good Reads" John?[/quote]

It's a great community site for readers and authors alike. Amazon bought it recently and I think it's clear from a recent newsletter that Amazon will build it up as the promotion arm for Amazon. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Two books I have to read in August (during the writers' group summer break) homework first week back is to review both books.

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
    The Disappearing Act of Esme Lennox - by Maggie O'Farrell

Both an enjoyable read - both unusual story lines
  • House of Silence, by Linda Gillard: it's got off to a really good start. Funny, odd, mysterious, with good characters.
    I found it while searching Amazon.fr for books under 3 €.
  • A Week in December, Sebastian Faulks. Only just started but it looks promising. The last one of his that I read was 'Human Traces', which I found extremely hard going.
  • Plodding through "1000 years of annoying the French" by Stephen Clarke, and I'llbe glad when I finish it - it's too long.

Have just read "The Winter Ghosts" by Kate Mosse and loved it.
    A story set between the wars, and the atmosphere of the whole book felt exactly that - dated without being "dated".
  • I've just downloaded 'The Never List' to my Kindle after a friend recommended it. Anyone read it yet?
  • Catching up on a few TBer's books beginning with Fiona Faith Ross's (pbw) "Far Out." It's not one of my usual genres but the opening chapters have whetted my appetite - Definitely recommended.
  • pbwpbw
    edited September 2013
    Eddisbury! You've made my year! I'm just plotting the sequel now.
  • pbwpbw
    edited September 2013
    I got IQ84 by Murakami from the library today and reserved Sanctus by Simon Toyne (which I am dying to read).

I had WOOL out but had to return it. I can't get on with it. It has one character called Jahns (hideous and intolerable name, but I was prepared to make allowances), followed by a Marnes, and then a Marck.

So we had Jahns, Marnes and Marck. How did the copy editor not pick those up?

The irritating vowel kept knocking me out of the story.

Also, it's been a bad week this week for other reasons. I might give it another go when life improves.
  • I love 1Q84 pbw, let me know how you get on with it.

I just finished The Scarlet Letter today, not sure what to move on to next, maybe just my NaNoWriMo books.
  • Just read Casual Vacancy by some author or other. Can't remember their name.

Felt the first half dragged and it has probably one too many primary characters, really enjoyed the second half and the end. Didn't think I'd like it, but read it out of curiosity and would recommend it.

Perhaps the author will go on to do alright out of it...
  • I thought it's time to re-read the Harry Potter books again. I am on book one: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. (This will be my sixth time of reading these great stories)
  • I have just finished And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini it was very good but not as good as The Kite Runner which was excellent. I am now reading The Imperilled Journey by Meg Wilcoxson a lady in our writing group.
  • [quote=forget-me-not]I love 1Q84 pbw, let me know how you get on with it. [/quote]

I'm absolutely loving it, fmn! I was hooked as soon as Komatsu revealed his evil plan with regard to the literary publishing world. What a deliciously ironic set-up created by the author. I'm hooked by all the characters and I especially love the name Aomame (green peas).
  • Yeah I love the name Aomame too! Glad you're really enjoying it, I love Murakami anyway, but 1Q84 is my favourite.
  • I am rereading some of the Jeeves and Wooster stories.
  • Now on SANCTUS by Simon Toyne.
  • ready a bit off dirk pitt, i may have to re read the mortal instruments next
  • I have just finished Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. Brilliant and sad at the same time.
  • I loved that book, BD!
  • I've just read my Time Out bar wrapper.

Colleague wanted to know what was in it.

<Weirdo>
  • Not the sort of thing I would normally read but it was only £1-world book day.
    Traction City - Philip Reeve. I enjoyed it.
    I will be seeking out the World of Mortal Engines, now and hope they
    are equally entertaining.
  • Maro, I read Mortal Engines in high school, it isn't the kind of thing I would ever think I'd be interested in either, but the world really sucks you in. Now that you have reminded me about them, I might see if I can get them on kindle and relook at the series.
  • New to here, hello all. Just reading "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. It is a "two one book" with Oliver Twist. I have never read a Dickens novel before, usually just seen the films/musicals on TV but I have had this book for quite a while and, well need a rest from Stephen King, thriller books, so took this down. It is quite a hard book to follow. I am on "book three" so nearly finished it.
  • Hi suereader - and welcome to TB.

I am reading The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt.

All I can say is it's a blooming masterpiece. She is what I call a writer!
  • I'm reading a book about writing - shan't name and shame.

And welcome to suereader - good luck with your reading, I've never read any Dickens.
  • The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster. He's an interesting author - I've read quite a few of his books and I don't always 'get' him, but this one is fabulous so far.

Hi and welcome, suereader. Why don't you introduce yourself on the Welcome Writers thread as not everyone will pick this up.
  • I'm in between books.
  • I've started rereading books about pirates. I've no idea why, I found a pirate book under my bed and it snowballed from there. When I've finished this pirate phase I'm going to read Ultimatum by Simon Kernick and then I might continue Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I'm on book six at the moment.
  • Hallo suereader. I love Dickens, his characters are brilliant. I have the Complete Works which I dip in to from time to time.Stick with him.

*surprised at Baggy*

I'm reading 'A History of the World in Twelve Maps', by Jerry Brotton. Hard going, but I WILL finish it.
  • Ulysses, Dickens, 'A History of the World in Twelve Maps'... you don't make it easy on yourself, sm!
  • I feel I have a duty to the nation's Literary Heritage, TN. My reward is five recently acquired contemporary novels, Mark Haddon, Peter Cary, Kate Atkinson, John Irving, plus a couple of cycling books.

"I really love Dickens," he said defiantly. "His style is very amusing, even when he deals with harrowing situations."
  • I agree with you, sm.

*joins Dickens Mutual Appreciation Society*
  • The Night watch by sergei Lukyanenko - loving it.
  • Had a really big reading week this week, getting through 5 books. Just started "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde. Have wanted to read this since he came to the Dundee Literary Festival for a reading when it came out a few years ago, so looking forward to it.
  • In the Land of the Long White Cloud by Sarah Lark. It's about Victorian women of varying social degrees going out to New Zealand, and their experiences. Actually it turns out to revolve around sex: marriage to a gay man, rape, women as brood mares, that sort of thing and not what was expected. It is translated from the German by an American: and it grates. How many Victorians confessed themselves 'blown away' by an experience?
    It should have been a better book - perfectly readable, but it's becoming irritating now. It's also over-long, and part of a saga that I won't be continuing.
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2014
    That's interesting, SM. I bought one of his books - but it is so big i am scared of it...