Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• it would be good if they were.
  • When I click on my Account page, only the top part appears. I've tried a couple of other people's and the same thing happens.
  • Hi, Jenny. My Account page seems OK. Has the problem resolved itself?
  • edited March 2008
    Nope! For example on your accounts page it only goes down as far as "email - n/a". Never mind. It will probably sort itself out eventually.
  • Just checked my account page, it seems to be fine. Hope yours is sorted now Jenny.
  • Just checked, Cooper - it's OK now, thanks.
  • Hi, Jon. We've just started a new month's One Word Challenge. We'd be very grateful if you would do the following:

'unsticky' One Word Challenge March 2008

and

'sticky' One Word Challenge April 2008.

Thanks.
  • Er ... Jon, it's been drawn to my attention that I inadvertently put One WorLd Challenge. Any chance of you amending it? Thanks. (It wasn't meant to be an April Fool.)
  • Sorry, Jon - change of plan.

1 - Remove 'sticky' from March's One Word Challenge

2 - Delete thread/discussion with misspelt title of One World Challenge April 2008 (unless anyone objects, in which case do not make it sticky)

3 - Make 'sticky' One Word Challenge April 2008 (with correct spelling, I hope).

If you're confused, please contact me.

I'm e-mailing Webbo with these requests, too.

Thanks.
  • Just thought - is it possible to have the 'edit' facility working on the discussion title (for 15 minutes or however long it lasts for)? This might mean we'd have fewer misspelt discussion titles.
  • Now THAT's a great suggestion!
  • Jon, any chance of an answer to my question about what happens when we report a post? It's important, it's a need to know basis, to help us decide whether it is worth reporting posts in future.
  • I second that Dorothy. Given my recent experience that reporting a post on Bebo leads to exactly no action I would like some re-assurance that there is a point to the whole exercise.
  • Hi TBers,
    Here is a general overview of what happens when you report a post;
    I receive an email stating the comment/discussion that has been reported, with a link to the discussion.
    I will then view the reported comment and take action as appropriate.
    At no time does the author of the offending post know who has reported them.
    The only correspondance that takes place with the author is from one of the moderators, so your identities are safe from further abuse/flame wares etc. The moderators will get it all instead :)

The action that can be taken is one of the following, in no particular order.
    a) The comment is left alone and nothing done, and a note is made against the comment that it has been reported, and if more than one person reports the same post then it is obviously escalated, and further action instigated.
    b) The author of the comment is sent a whisper with a warning that their comments are causing offence.
    c) The post is removed from general view and placed in a holding section
    d) The author is placed into a moderated group, where all posts have to be authorised by a moderater before they are release to be viewed by all, and after a satisfactory number of posts they are moved back to the general member group.
    e) The author is moved to a new member group, where they can explain there actions to the moderators.
    f) The author is banned from posting to the forum.

One or more of these actions can be taken against members who come onto Talkback to cause problems for other members. As I have stated before I don't want to police this website 24/7 as you are a great community and you all look out for each other and help each other whenever you can.
    The above list of actions are obviously there for the minority of people who sometimes feel the need to disrupt the normal happy environment that is Talkback.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards
    Jon
  • thanks, Jon! That sets my mind at rest.
  • That is very helpful to know, thank you for taking the time to explain the various levels of action. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Thanks, Jon, for sorting out the One Word Challenge discussions.

The discussion

desert island books

seems to have disappeared. Any idea why/where it's gone? Thanks.
  • Hello Jon - It has been recommended that I paste this question here...

My PC has just been cleaned up and defragged. It works perfectly well on all other jobs and with all other sites. It's a good 'un and is only two years old.

But everytime I click on a discussion here it loads the first few posts and then takes an age to get to the bottom. More often it doesn't at all.

This isn't really helping me to take part in this excellent community and so I'd be really grateful if someone could give me some advice or tell me that it's a common problem to be suffered.....

Thanks to all!
  • Jon - have another request.
    When using the 'thanks' button is it possible to alter the facility so that it defaults to the post on which the 'thanks' has been posted instead of defaulting to the top of the thread?
    I've just been thanking a good number of people on a thread and it's a real pain to have to keep scrolling all the way back from the top each time to the next person I want to thank.
    Thanks! :)
  • Jon - we really need your help. Please can you liaise with some of the 'older'/'regular' members. Thanks.
  • Jon/Webbo

This is actually all a bit trivial. Please check out the threads, there is a general consensus of opinion that we have been infultrated by people who just want to cause trouble. There is a lot of paranoia kicking about at the moment and most of us now do not feel comfortable on this site. It was CC who highlighted the problem, please speak to her, we want to get back to our usual manic fun.

Thank you.
  • People who want to cause trouble? I've not been around for a while...have I missed any opportunities to be gratuitously contentious and irrationally grumpy? Awww.
    Lead me to 'em. Or, would it be one of those situations where I have to gnaw my keyboard to prevent me from posting a reply?
    Maybe we can set up a special thread for "moaners who want to cause trouble", make it sticky, and replace the 'thanks 'button with 'throw custard pies'. Fun?

ps. what does "to flame" mean? (In web-speak context)
  • PS. Hello again Cooper!
  • Hickey, 'flamers' are those who come on a thread to cause trouble. Yes, you missed a whole pile of it, don't let it worry you, troublemakers have been banned.
  • No, dorothy. As I understand it, a flamer is someone who tells someone else off - a flamer is as likely to be a goody as a baddy. Someone who comes into a thread intent on causing trouble is normally referred to as a 'troll'.
  • We seem to have been the victim of cross types- flaming trolls. :)
  • Thanks for the correction! Us OAPS sometimes have trouble with these newfangled phrases, Richt.
  • Carol, like it!!!!!
  • As Carol says, trolls can be flamers too. What often happens is that a troll comes in and stirs things up. The troll then gets flamed by the resident members, and flames back. You then have what is called a flame war. Usually the troll eventually gets bored and goes off to stir up someone else.

Age has little to do with understanding such things (I am an OAP myself), but having experience of a number of newsgroups and mailing lists does help ;-)
  • I don't go on newsgroups or experienced mailing lists, Richt, this is my limit, outside of a historical forum, so some of it is still outside my knowledge range.
  • You are learning fast, Dorothy! :-)
  • it's odd, isn't it, I can transfer files between programmes, insert graphics, create my magazine, lay out a book ... but when it comes to Internet, I am limited in what I actually visit. I am registered with several forums which seem to have gone dead, the historical one bothered me as it dropped to a childish level of name calling of people from history who could not answer back, so I stayed off and have continued to stay off it. I come on here which suits me well. And I am learning fast!
  • I'm not an OAP, okay I get my SAGA membership next year, but I'm having big problems with terminology. Trolls and flamers? Oh help :-(
  • Sounds like the tales of the Brothers Grimm to me! :-)
  • edited April 2008
    http://wilko.webzone.ru/troll.html

Trolls and how to deal with them! There are many other relevant websites.
  • Very useful information- suggest we all make a point of reading this as it has some good advice.
  • Are our comments/requests still being checked periodically Jon? No response from you regarding my last post. It's probably got a bit lost after the last run of posts so copying it again:

Jon - have another request.
    When using the 'thanks' button is it possible to alter the facility so that it defaults to the post on which the 'thanks' has been posted instead of defaulting to the top of the thread?
    I've just been thanking a good number of people on a thread and it's a real pain to have to keep scrolling all the way back from the top each time to the next person I want to thank.
    Thanks!

Also would like to add another point: when I do a Search for somone's comment and click on said comment to go to that thread it defaults to the beginning of the thread. This can end up extremely time consuming if it's a long thread to have to scroll through all the posts to find the one I Searched. Can this function not be changed so that it defaults straight to the post that has been Searched? (Please!!)
  • Claudia. Hiya. Regarding the thanks facility, I asked a similar question ages ago. No change.
  • Whenever I search for anything, a list comes up on the left of the page but the second I move the curser, they all disappear.
  • Claudia, not sure if this will help, but you can press Edit, then Find on this Page.
  • Thanks Jay - I experimented and it works up to a point: I have to be on the same page as the post I'm looking for - and I have to find a fairly unique word to 'Find' within that post.
    It would still be much better if you could click on the post you wanted in the Search facility and have it send you straight to that comment.
  • Hi Claudia and Cooper,
    Yes I still check the comments, I think you are right and I may have lost it within all the threads etc. I will have a look at implimenting the thanks point you made.
    I will also see if I get the comment link to default to the correct one rather than the first one.

Regards
    Jon
  • Hi, Jon.

One Word Challenge April 2008 - please remove 'sticky'.

One Word Challenge May 2008 - please add 'sticky'.

Thanks.

Jay
  • Hi Jon,

A few of us are having problems with the "What are you reading now?" thread in Writers & Readers. For some reason when I open the thread (which should take me to the last comment I read) I get a blank screen. I have to go back to the previous page, then forward again, to see the most recent additions.

From the comments on the thread, there are at least 3 or 4 of us suffering with this.
  • Amboline. It's not just that thread. This has happened to me on a variety of threads, mainly the ones with a vast number of pages.
  • edited May 2008
    Some do, some don't. Perhaps we should note which threads it is that have this problem. It might help Jon pin it down better.
  • I have that problem with what are you reading now too -on the board it tells me that there are 12 pages, but I can only get to number 10, which has nothing on it... till I go back one page and forward again... but only to number 10
  • Jon

Thread title 'something weird with what are you reading now...' in members general chat.

Page one missing completely.

Good luck my friend.
  • Regarding "What are you reading now?" problem,
    This thread has now been fixed. If you find any others that are doing the same this if you let me know I will get those fixed as well.

Regards
    Jon
  • Thanks Jon.