Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• I have had a couple go missing in the last few days too.
  • Hi Cooper and Carol,
    I will look into the missing posts and see if I can replicate the problem.

Regards
    Jon
  • :-) ;-) WE HAVE SMILIES - THANKYOU
  • Jon
    I posted a Thanks message this morning, below your message- it is not there now. I waited until the thread stopped flashing before I left, and I checked it was there immediately, but it is now missing.
  • Jon. Smilies! Thank you, thank you, thank you. :-)
  • smilies?? cool :)
  • Jon for the account photo the system allows 280 w x 200 h. Jay has asked me to set up a picture of the cover of one of his books which is portrait. I have resized it so that the maximum dimension is 200h even though that leaves it only 126 pixels wide. THe system has still cropped it so that only part of the cover shows. Is there anything that can be done about this? Obviously if I resize the dimensions to landscape it distorts the image.
  • How about putting the image of the cover on a new layer which is the correct size the adjusting the cover pic ( which is a different layer) to fit where/how you want. Then merge the layers - checking that everything is as it should be before trying again - Which software are you using?
  • (Whispers) Does anyone know what they're talking about?
  • Sorry Jenny Went in at the deep end a bit.
    It's about using photo retouching software. Pictures can be made by laying one on top of the other and then be resized both physical size and its resolution i.e. number of dots used to make one inch/centimetre of picture or pixels. The finer the resolution the better quality the image. Web pages need no more than 90 dpi (dots per inch) as the monitors will not differentiate anything better.
  • In one ear, out the other.
  • Something in Photoshop.
  • edited January 2008
    Oh dear, where's Mutley?

AH! Carol must have a clue what I'm drivelling on about!
  • Yes, I have a basic understanding of layering.
  • I am completely au fait with the process now, Scratch. Thank you. (Exits stage left, muttering inanely.)
  • I couldn't do it mind you, but I know what you mean.
  • Thank heavens for that, thanks Carol. Let's see if Mutley gets it sorted with Jon
  • Scratch I have adjusted the image to the right pixelation- but kept it in proportion to the portrait book cover. TB automatically resizes so messes up anything that is portrait. even if you have reduced the maximum pixels to fit. I can' t use photoshop to adjust any layers until my desktop is unpacked back in England. My web software does all the resizing but is less sophisticated than photoshop.
  • OK Mutley, my email address is available on my account page if I can be of assistance - I'll stop being a geek, now!
  • Scratch - I don't think you're a geek. You're being very helpful. It's just that I'm not very technically minded!
  • When I got my current job I said to Mrs Scratch that I was now an official geek! ;)
  • I love geeks! :-)
  • Jon. I'm still having problems with losing posts.
  • Jon
    Is it possible on the threads that have a lot of pages, that we can click on the last page with posts, rather than the one before, then having to click onto the next page to get to the end?
  • Jon,
    I was wondering if you could make threads like 'How to upload an icon/photo' as a sticky at the top. This would help newbies with the technology and perhaps a sticky saying: READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST. This could tell newbies about how to post and about introducing themselves before they do it in the middle of another tread.
    Just a though.
  • In similar vein, would it be possible to have the

One Word Challenge [current month] 2008

as a sticky? We'll be posting the one for February soon, and would like it to be a 'sticky' for a month/until the end of the month. Round about the 7th of the following month (March will be the next one), another Challenge will be posted, preferably another 'sticky'. And so on.

Thanks.
  • Hi, Jon. I've justed started the new discussion One Word Challenge February 2008. Is it possible to make it 'sticky' for about one month?

Thanks.
  • Jon: I'm wondering if it would be possible for website addresses that appear in postings to appear as hyperlinks, rather than just as text? We have a *lot* of postings (mostly from Carol :)) in Writers' World and Writers & Readers which contain references to pertinent bits of news, which consist of a web address and nothing more. Those of us scanning Talkback briefly in limited access time tend to bypass these, as being too fiddly to follow up. If there was a way for them to be easily converted to hyperlinks then we'd at least be able to follow them with a single click, before deciding whether or not the information in the linked website was of value to us.

If not, the alternative would be for those who make these types of posting to provide at least a couple of sentences of precis. Though, despite my repeated pleas for this, it seems to be something Talkbackers are reluctant to do...
  • Amboline, I usually highlight the link with a wipe of the mouse, copy it then paste into a new window. This assumes your browser supports multiple tabs (I use Mozilla Firefox, and the latest Internet Explorer works, too). But I do agree that I am inclined to skip over the threads that rely on visiting another web sites to gather info unless the content appears particularly interesting - hyperlinks are good, Jon!
  • I'd like hyperlinks if they were possible.
    ( When I post something like an item in the news or from a bbc page, I don't always have the time to put a lot of detail-where possible I do, but sometimes the title of the thread and the web address are all that's needed.)
  • how come, after weeks of not logging in, I am now required to log in every time, Jon?
  • Amboline, Jemma, I do the highlighting and copy, paste method that Scratch suggests. It's very quick. The hyperlinks would be even quicker though and very useful. (Thanks for all those newsy items you post by the way, Carol).
  • yeah i copy and paste but if i don't have time then i don' read the articles...hyperlinks are just quicker and easier...
  • Jon, if we 'whisper' our e-mail addresses to each other, is it secure - or can Google pick it up?
  • Hi,

Jay: I have now made it a sticky. Yes if you whisper them they are safe. Google cannot pick them up.
    Butterfly: I will sort out a Read this before you post thread.
    Carol: I will see if I add some thing to make the page selection easier.

Regarding Hyperlinks I will look at sorting this out for you.

Speak to you all soon.
    Jon
  • Thanks Jon. The rest of the additions are working well and are very useful.
  • Hope we aren't working you too hard, Jon!
  • Thanks, Jon.
  • Yes, Jon, you're doing great work here - and I still maintain this is a vast improvement on the old Talkback :)
  • I have a silly problem, some of the longer threads, like the offload one, appear on my screen twice, in that the line containing the thread and how many pages it is appears on my screen twice. I have to click on one to get the thread to show. Is there some reason for this I don't fully comprehend?
  • Thanks for the page addition numbers on the threads Jon.
  • Having the page numbers in the list of threads is very useful - thanks, Jon.
  • edited February 2008
    Just testing my new avatar. Nope, didn't work :-(
  • It might just be delayed!
  • Jon - It was very useful to know the exact times that people had posted - it helped to keep track of when Australian TBers would be around. Would it be possible to have that facility back, please?
  • Yes, I miss that too. It makes more sense of postings where you can have three or four or more all saying x hours ago. Especially when there is the editing facility to take into account.
  • Dear Jon the Administrator.
    Why do my posts keep vanishing?
    Are they being eaten by the 'report posts' gremlin?

And how do I get a 'reported post' anyway? Will I know if I do?
    I was almost tempted to write something on the 'things you hate' thread that may've warranted one...

Regards,
    Hickey
  • I had one disappear yesterday on the Whodunnit thread- real pain to retype.
  • ^^ I just thought I was going mad, but obviously the posts I thought I made I did make and they dissapeared. There's only been a couple but enough to have me questioning the stability of my marbles.