Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• You're probably right Mutley - but I'd still like to know from Jon.
  • Re Change Passwords - forgot to say the screen should indicate minimum number of characters as well as maximum. Does it also need to be a mix of alpha and numeric/letters and numbers?
  • Hi, Jon. Is it possible to have somewhere a description of what each category should be used for? At the moment there seems to be some confusion. Newcomers to Talkback don't seem to be aware that they should introduce themselves in Welcome Writers, for instance.
  • Jon: I'd second that. The category descriptions from the old Talkback could easily be copied across as plain text onto the categories menu in the new one.

Claudia: on any internet forum, it's best to assume that the administrator can see everything that goes on within it, private and public. It has to be that way so that there's a means for monitoring potential abuse of the system.
  • Hi Talkbackers,

Claudia, As with all systems on the internet of this type. The answer is yes everything that goes on within Talkback can be viewed by an administrator, however only people with the correct priveledges can view them. As Amboline has pointed out it is to stop abuse of the system.

If a new member joined just to start abusing people via the whisper system, and the administrator was told by the member that a problem was occuring the only way of stopping the abuse and track the user through the system to ban them and keep them out would be to view all posts that the user had made. I hope that makes sense. I do not actively monitor any of the whisper chat that goes on between Talkbackers or indeed any of the other threads that go on within the system and will only actively monitor the system if requested to do so, by either Webbo or when a thread is brought to my attention via the boards.

I view threads like this one and one's which shout my name out for help, but other than that you are all looking after yourselves and each other, as it should be, I believe. You all seem like a great bunch of people and you all help each other out, and I don't think you want me to be constantly monitoring the system, checking up on everything you do.

I hope that all makes sense.

Regards
    Jon
  • Aw, well aint you just a lil sweetheart, Jon!
    We know you're doing your very best for us working tirelessly behind the scenes but might we just ask - pretty please with cherries on the top - if you have answers for Jay's and Amboline's concerns/queries yet?
    I know it's a lot to trawl through but you know how men get when their questions aren't answered the day before they ask them. :-)
    (Sorry J and A, thought I'd put in my two pence worth. I'm trying. Yes, I know, very trying! Groan)
  • Jay and Amboline,
    I have now copied over the category description from the old Talkback

Regards
    Jon
  • Jay,

I will look into the password screen and add the min/max characters.

Regards
    Jon
  • Thank you for your comprehensive reply Jon - it makes a lot of sense now that you (and Amboline) explained why you can't have a truly private whisper system.
    Is there any chance of introducing the previous facility where we could e-mail members? I know we could 'whisper' to someone to ask for their e-mail, but the old version was a way of contacting someone who had dropped out of the forum, so a 'whisper' wouldn't work in that scenario. Am I making sense here?
  • hi Jon
    thanks for all this...
    is there not a way to automatically bookmark a thread once we have posted in it? It would possibly make things a bit easier....
  • Jemma, when you have posted go back to the top of the page and on the top of the page on the left is 'bookmark this discussion' - if you click that it should do it.
  • yeah but then sometimes i'm in a rush and i forget to do that...some of the sites i know automatically subscribe you to a thread when you comment...and then in the user control panel it tells you when there is a new reply to that thread...
  • I wouldn't want it to happen automatically as I subscribe to too many threads!
  • we used to have that on the old old system, I had to stop it, the IN box was inundated!
  • 'Post your comments' and 'Back to Discussions' are very close to each other. Today I've found that two or three items I thought I'd posted were not in fact posted. I'm not sure whether I pressed the wrong option or whether I didn't allow enough time for the post to register. (I've also noticed that, if I take too long to post, someone else might post before me - but, because I'm the last to post, it appears I've read their post when I haven't i.e. the main Talkback screen does not show an outstanding post on this particular discussion.)

Does it make sense to move the two options further apart - or would that waste time when reading &/or posting?
  • I miss not seeing the actual time it was posted. Seconds and minutes is not a problem, but when they are 8 hours ago, and you have a lot it is sometimes hard to make sense of things- there can have been a few minutes apart, or 50 minutes.
  • Oh Jay - how stupid am I? (rhetorical) - I hadn't even spotted the back to discussions. I kept going to the top of the page.
  • Is there a time limit for how long you can be signed in? I keep finding I am not signed in although I have not signed out.
  • I haven't discovered a time limit on this version yet.
  • I think it was yesterday that I had to sign in (user name and password) twice when usually I don't have to.
  • If I use the PC it times out quite quickly, on my laptop it stays signed in - but I think I must have ticked the box for remembering details on my laptop as no one else goes near it. (Not if they want to live anyway!)
  • I haven't been signed out once.
  • I've been signed out frequently - and I have ticked the box for remembering details.
  • How odd.
  • Hi Could somebody please explain the Thank You History?
  • there isn't one. When WN created the new site, they added that without us asking for it! An additional element to a very good site, I think anyway. It's nice to be able to send thanks without making a formal reply of it.
  • Wilts, it shows who's said 'thank you' to you. If you look at the posting screen, there is a thing called 'thanks' which you can press.
  • Thanks dorothyd and Jay Mandal. As you can see I tried the thanks button. I understand it now.
  • I try to get it to remember me, but it doesn't. I've given up now.
  • When I click on a discussion/thread, I am taken to the top of its page before going to the end of the discussion. Is this a temporary glitch?
  • edited January 2008
    This also happens when I post something.
  • Jay: the faint type next to your post says "edited"
    How does this happen? What does it mean?
  • If you type a mistake or want to change something you have posted, you have a chance to edit. The opportunity doesn't last very long but can cause a fair bit of confusion if someone has read the post and is responding only to find, once they have posted the response, that what they are responding to is no longer there. When you read threads that seem to make no sense that is often what has happened - crucial bits have been edited out of sight.
  • Hickey, next time you post to a thread, before you press back to discussions, look on the message you have just posted, and you will see grey text saying edit next to the Report post. Click on edit, and you can adjust the message you've just posted, then click save changes. It will then say edited as it does on Jay's message.
  • When tracing back my own posts I can see the category they're in but not the page. I have to keep scrolling forever, trying to find where the post is. Is there a better and quicker way to do it?
  • Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you go to Account and Comments Added it shows what you've last said where?
  • edited January 2008
    Jon, my icon seems to have disappeared. Why is this?
  • Are there any rules about icons that we should know about?
  • Don't worry your icon is alive and well. It is a problem with my site being down not TB - it is scheduled maintenance.
  • Many thanks for letting us edit our posts - that will save a lot of superflous threads on apologising for our earlier mistakes - cheers!
  • Daisy, thank you, I tried that but it shows me just the first page of where my post is, which in one onstance ends with of a post of 4th january. I think my brain is missing something. Nothing new here.
  • Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but do you think it would be a good idea to show the TBers who are actually logged in when we enter the forum? It could be an optional facility - not everybody would want to be 'available'. Also, what about a 'Shout Box' - an instant messaging area? What do you think?
  • I'd like to know if there is someone around at the same time.
  • I'm here, Carol. Not 'all here' though.
  • Just looking at Carol's post and I shall now act like a toddler throwing a stamping fit - I want smilies, I want smilies... Pretty please ;-)
  • Hehe. Made me smile.
  • I wanted to add here, whoever thought up the thanks button is to be highly commended. What a terrific idea!
  • Jon. Today I have had two posts go AWOL. I know there is a theory that if two TBers post at the same time post together, one gets lost in the ether. I don't know about the first time I lost a post but thesecond certainly had nothing to do with timing. Is there a problem here?