Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• edited November 2008
    We don't want to lose anyone, least of all you Misty.
  • Glad you're staying, Misty! :D
  • this 'adding a comment to a previous post' is giving me a few headaches.
    I answered a whisper and then went to leave a comment on the thread but of course it wrapped itself into the whisper! quick editing job, or the TBer would have wondered what I was going on about. Jon, it's a nice idea but impractical, as sometimes we want to bounce a thread - if we add to our own post, it doesn't work.
  • I've found that dorothy - I added something to 'Finding experts' but because I was the last to post it wouldn't jump to the top.
  • If you remember this happened before and Jon had to fix it so it appeared as a seperate post each time. Obviously the update switched everything to default, so poor Jon will have to re-fix everything he had customised.
  • Thanks Dorothy, Carol and Jenny :D

I'm having trouble managing my time at the moment so originally I thought quitting a site or two would give me more time but I'd prefer to remain and just lurk when I can't post. I don't think I could leave now...even if I wanted to. I'm hooked! :P
  • It always happens. Lurk when you don't have time, and comment when you do. We'd rather that than lose you completely. :)
  • Just call me Miss Lurker 2008. ;)
  • Just don't leave us Misty Lurker 2008 :P
  • [quote=LolliB]Just don't leave us Misty Lurker 2008 :P [/quote]

I'll be sticking around. At the moment I'm trying to think of something for this months competition... :D

When are we getting the "thanks" back? I liked them.
  • So did I. They were useful. I didn't enter last month's competition through lack of inspiration and it looks as if this month is going the same way ... so far!
  • Thanks, Jon, for getting 'whisper' to work; and solving the two-posts-by-same-person-amalgamated problem. (They seemed OK a couple of hours ago.)
  • This is not a complaint in any way but a wonder really...

Why is it that I have "report post" in my own posts?
  • That appears in the little row of options on everyone's thread contributions.
    If-in the unklikely event- you insulted someone or said something horrible, then a member could click on that report post (in the offending contributed thread) and this sends a message to Jon who will look at the item and take action accordingly.
    Somewhere in this long thread, Dorothy asked what happens when you report a post, and Jon explained. So if you look for the contributions from Jon you should find the answers.
    You haven't done anything wrong :)
  • i think she meant in her OWN posts...why would you report your own post? hee...
  • I've wondered that, too. Why would you report yourself?
  • When you are being rude to yourself?
  • Could happen if you are in the habit of talking to yourself. ;)
  • I think we're all guilty of that to some degree, Stan - I was 'talking' to one of my characters just last night. ;)
  • Hi Jon,

I'm still having a problem with not being able to see the sign-in button at the top right of the screen because that "Mastering Hollywood for Writers" advert completely obscures it. Good job I already knew where it was so I could still log in, but there may be newcomers who don't realise what's happened...
  • I guess report post comes up automatically for all of us, rather than for everyone but the person posting at that time. I think there's a limit to the technology this site can stand!
  • Jon, can we have our little 'thingys' back please, my rosette, Jay's motif, Mutley's etc. because ... when the nicest TBer thread closes on Christmas Eve, the person will want their little motif, won't they?????
  • Well of course I will :P :P
  • Thank you, Jon! I am rosetted again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Thank you Jon for sorting out the threads so you can now post and it comes to the top, even if you were the last person to post.
  • Dorothy...I am sure your rosette seems bigger than before !!!! Have you been bribing anyone??? ;)
  • ah, my secret is revealed ...
  • 'thanks' back, please, Jon, we really miss them!
  • Hi Jon, just to echo Dorothy's request, above, for the 'thanks' to be restored. Thanks!
  • Hi Jon, As well as regaining 'thanks', can we please lose the 'all discussions' page? For the home page it isn't really appropriate, as only the 'popular' discussions are generally visible and they are often the more lighthearted and trivial type, which gives a false impression of the site. If the categories option is the home page, then people can choose which category they are most interested in and go straight there and the most popular threads in each category will be at the top of a category's page. Several people have suggested or agreed that this would be a good idea, on 'Why don't people stay on TB?' and 'why DO people stay on TB' threads. Hope this is possible and something that can be done fairly soon
  • As long as a choice of all categories is retained somewhere in the list- like it was in the old style talkback board.
  • edited November 2008
    IG, there isn't a comment- has it gone astray? Or are you talking about another page on this thread?
  • Jon, another request. When someone writes a whisper it is counted as a post to the thread, so people reading that thread think they have 'missed' something. As it is a private post, can it be ignored for the purposes of counting posts on threads?
  • I'd like to echo LolliB's request for the Categories page to be the page that's displayed by default when you log in to Talkback. I think far more use could and should be made of the Categories page; it's much the easiest way for a newcomer to find their way around Talkback and it keeps the focus on Talkback being a writers' site. Much as I love the breadth of discussion we have here, some days a glance at the All Categories page could give the impression we were a punning forum, and/or a chat room for discussions on the news.
  • And the thanks button, PLEASE!
  • Thanks, please! (Or please: thanks!)
  • Tahnks for the thanks button, jon
  • Thank you Jon.
  • many thanks!
  • Jon my Thanks button seems to have disappeared.
  • Hi Jon,

I looked but I don't think I saw an answer from you about my question - if someone requests to have their account deleted from this site, do their posts automatically disappear when their account is deleted? Thanks.

Misty
  • Misty, yes that does happen. This question was asked before- some months ago, and when the person asked to be removed, their threads went as well.
    I think you can assume it would still do so. Though Jon could remove an individual post if needed to Misty.
    Jon is not here all the time, but he does make regular checks, but things can get lost. :)
  • Thanks Carol. I would like Jon's clarification of this though as that particular poster may have asked him for those threads to be removed as well as the account.

Misty
  • I understand.
    Jon seems to be around at odd times, so I'd suggest you highlight the query, so it's obvious.
    Perhaps put 'important question for Jon' in capitals, and direct him to the question on this page, so it doesn't get lost in among other things. :)
  • edited December 2008
    yesterday when i posted the thread "of onions, mushrooms and nuts" it continued to show a new post both on my "your discussions" list and in the normal discussions list...yet the only post was mine...today its showing that there are 3 new posts... all of which i have read...

why?
    the thread "have you ever been made to feel like an outsider" is also registering as 7 new posts...but i have read them all... its really annoying...
  • what does "reset discussion status" mean on our accounts page?
  • Jemma, I noticed that, I discovered I'd already read some posts that it said I hadn't- so to speak. Perhaps Jon has been working and it disrupted things for a while.
    I expect the reset puts it back to a default- so however you've customised it to appear.