Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• Hi Misty,
    When a user requests to be deleted then the posts/threads are also removed.

Regards
    Jon
  • [quote=WarnersInternetDept]Hi Misty,
    When a user requests to be deleted then the posts/threads are also removed.

Regards
    Jon[/quote]

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I do find it a little strange that all a persons posts would disappear. What would happen if it was someone who was a frequent poster? That would mean for some very strange threads which suddenly had posts missing.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply and keep up the good work.

Misty
  • Hi Misty,
    It all depends on the user and the request they have made.If they just leave of their own accord then their account and posts stay. If a user is removed for trolling/flaming then all the posts will disappear. The other alternative is that the user is modified by myself so that it contains no identifiable info of the original user and the username is changed and the password is reset so that the posts stay but don't link back to the original user.

Regards
    Jon
  • Hi Jon, Happy New Year. I came to say that I can't get into page 4 of 100 things that went wrong at Christmas... not without going to page 3 first...
  • Yes, this happened to me too yesterday, had to go into page 3 first, then click onto page 4 to get to where the last thread was.
  • edited December 2008
    and me today.

Jon, I am minus my rosette again ... I guess others have lost their crowns too! Can we have them back, when the problems have been resolved that shut us out yesterday? Thanks ...

and it looks as if the board has reverted to, if you are the last person to write something, and you add to it, it goes on the previous post. We had this a while back, caused a few problems. Oops, looks like the board had a convulsion yesterday, doesn't it?
  • edited January 2009
    Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but the 'remember me' box doesn't seem to work when I sign in. Happy New Year, Jon!
  • Happy New Year, Mr Jon!
  • Happy New Year Jon!
  • Jay - The system hasn't remembered me for months!
  • the system keeps forgetting me, too, even when I leave it minimalised at the bottom of the screen!
  • Who cares !!! Isn't it nice to be a "new" person for a change?? ;)
  • Thank you, Jon! I pressed the wrong key, and posted a message with a topic heading I was trying to change. Lo and behold, I can edit the heading!
  • Joh-on, I'm having a little problem or two. not only does the site no longer remember me, but when I click on one of my bookmarked discusiions, it just takes me back to the bottom of whatever page I am on. I have to go back to general discusions, then it works. Just a little frustrating!
  • edited January 2009
    You may find Lolli that is because of the Vanilla update last weekend, as we've temporarily lost whisper again like we did a month or so ago when there was another update.
    A lot of things after updates seem to go to default.
    I'm sure once Jon gets it settled they will come back- as the whispered threads list did last time.
  • Thanks Carol
  • has anyone else noticed that this thread doesn't register any new comments but has a negative comments number?
  • It does?
  • well not anymore since i posted... but it did before... ;)
  • Jon, any chance of an update on work on the site? Like restoring our awards, the whisper, the ability to post something to bring a thread back up ... you know, little things ...
  • Yes, please, Jon.
  • Jon may still be recovering from Christmas and the New Year!
  • Possibly.
  • this thread is still not registering new comments for me... it says negative comments until i come into it...
  • If you post a comment on a thread and then want to add a whisper, it puts them both together - and vice versa.

This can be a bit embarrassing if your whispier is suddenly announced to the world...!
  • Especially the kind of stuff she whispers to me!!!

:-D
  • Hmm...........
  • This may have already been highlighted, Jon - but can you do something about the posts not combining? I wanted to whisper to two people consecutively and I can't. It's a bit irritating having to wait for someone else to post before I can add my second whisper.
    Thanks.
  • Claudia, you could start a 'new' discussion for the second one. Not ideal, though.
  • Jon - Would it be possible to have something other than Banned as the default category please? It has caused several people to wonder what on earth they've done to get banned!
  • I 2nd that!
  • Agree, it worries people.
  • yes, it has bothered me a few times too. Jon, can you change this?
  • I've just been getting 'Service Unavailable'. Just thought I'd warn you.
  • Thanks for sorting the category list again Jon.
  • I'm having trouble getting any links to work. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • Haven't had any problems so far. But haven't tried this evening yet.
  • i am now really beginning to get annoyed

all the threads still register as if they were started today... i have 75 posts on who is the youngest and oldest on TB...85 on you know you're a writer...and its just getting on my nerves...everytime i click on a thread it starts at the beginning or somewhere down the middle but does not jump to the last thread...

i know i am not really able to coherantly explain this for some reason tonight... but i hope it made some sense...

:D
  • Check that the system hasn't lost your personal setting preferences. If all is as expected, let Jon know.
  • i have unchecked and checked all preferences... strangely the older topics are fine and register the latest post fine... its just all the new topics...
  • Jon, the surnames thread has gone dead on me, I get a comment box but no postings.
    And, can we have the linking up of postings sorted, if possible? It is infuriating not being able to bring a thread back up if you are the last person who posted. Thanks sooooooo much ................................. ((((:))))
  • edited January 2009
    Same Dorothy your not the only one.

And yes I agree with the thread not being able to post again.

Thanks if you can get it sorted Jon

Scratch that. Surnames thread's working now. :)
  • I have posted so it will now show my comment at the top of the new page, click on page 1 to see your previous entries.
  • [quote=claudia]This may have already been highlighted, Jon - but can you do something about the posts not combining? I wanted to whisper to two people consecutively and I can't. It's a bit irritating having to wait for someone else to post before I can add my second whisper.
    Thanks. [/quote]

Jon - I've since sent you a 'private whisper' on this subject which you've never acknowledged - and the combining whisper problem remains.
  • Claudia, start a new discussion for one of them (whispered).
  • I still can't bounce a thread to the top on which I was the last to add a posting.
  • Hopefully Jon will fix this soon.
    But in the meantime Stan ask someone to bounce the thread to the top for you. I'm sure no one will mind you posting on a thread at the top to ask a favour.
  • edited January 2009
    Hi All,
    I'm not sure what is happening with the posts not working properly, I am in the process of updating some of the system and will be moving across to the new system very soon. Hopefully then it should all be ok again.

Claudia,
    Sorry for not responding I didn't see it. I have spotted why I didn't now and hopefully the next update will work better
    I have also removed the multiposting block and changed the edit timeout to 4hrs.

Regards
    Jon