Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• IG when this was happening a few weeks ago it seemed to be only some threads, not all. You can always open a private discussion thread if you need to.
  • It's okay, Carol, but I had thought to make some comments on the OWC and couldn't so I assumed it was unavailable to everyone. But apparently not.
  • IG - Whisper has disappeared from beside my quote/thank/report buttons but when I go to add a comment the Whisper (optional) choice is still there and if I type a name in that box it does seem to go as a Whisper. (I have used it on the OWC thread recently.)
  • Hi All,
    I have brought whispers back online now.

Regards
    Jon
  • Hi, Jon.
    One Word Challenge April 2009 - please remove 'sticky'.
    One Word Challenge May 2009 - please add 'sticky'.
    Thanks.
    Jay
  • i really hate to moan again...

but the threads are still not registering that i have read them... so i have 175 threads "unread" for one of my bookmarks... its really annoying..
    I clicked "mark all read" but my bookmarks still have "unread" posts.
  • Hi Jon,
    Occasionally I click the "Mark all Read" link but then get stuck in a loop.
    The web page revisits itself until I click the manual link to go back to the discussions.

I've only tried this in I.E. but from home and work PC's.
    On other forums with this facility it doesn't loop.

Thanks,
    Carl
  • when i read you first complaint i tried the same thing and yes...it looped for me too...
  • Hi Jemma, carlradley

I will look into what is causing this to happen, and let you know.

Regards
    Jon
  • thank you
  • I'm haveing the same problem with unreads too Jon - also some threads are showing a negative number of unread posts. It makes it very difficult to know where you are up to with reading.
  • yip negatives here too... the One Word Query thread has moved to the top of the stickies but with -14 next to number of posts
  • Jon
    Is there anything you can do about things not becoming read after I go in. It is putting me off using TB as I have no idea where I have got up to and just give up.
    Thanks
    Rosemary
  • i've been having the same issue for ages....
  • edited May 2009
    That's all too complicated for me! I look at the current threads, see which ones have new comments and click on them if I'm interested.

As Alexander the meerkat says: "Simple!" That's me!! :D
  • Me too. I set my system so the thread will go to the last one I read on that thread.
  • edited May 2009
    yeah i have set mine to do that too Carol but the "unread" posts are posts i have already read
  • I have found that if you have set the system to go to the last read post, it will only recognise it as having been 'read' if you use the back to discussions button, rather than the back arrow. So more threads are added and when you next click on it, it will still show those earlier ones as unread as well as the newer ones.
  • nope, that didn't work... i usually press the discussions tab to go back to discussions... thanks tho...
  • edited May 2009
    Jemma
    I think I have solved it. If you go to your account page and click to reset the unread/read it seems to clear the issue. Some have now gone to zero that wouldn't before.
    Best wishes
    Rosemary
  • thanks... i'll try that again.. done it a few times and end up with some threads giving me negative thread numbers!
  • nope...my bookmarks all still say 100 and something posts...etc
    but there is definitely an improvement in the actual discussions list as before some of them had not gone to 0 new posts...but now... they all are... one step at a time i suppose...
  • Jon
    is it possible to make all the threads non-google-able?
  • Jemma, I'm sure Jon will confirm this, it is not possible unless everything become Members Only.
    Google works by bots checking the net every so often. It then picks out key words from pages so it can bring them up on searches.
    So I suggest you use Members General Chat, or on an 'open' thread just be aware of what you post.
  • i remember on a forum my friends and i started that it was non-google-able but still viewable by non-members. If i wasn't logged in i could still see all the posts but nothing there is found on google... i have no idea how my friend did that tho..
  • It may have been how it was set up, or where it was hosted.
  • Hi TB'ers,
    Yes it is possible to make all the threads none searchable by the search engines.

Regards
    Jon
  • That is interesting to know.
    Thanks Jon.
  • Jon, any idea why my daisy icon has disappeared? If not, I'll find a new one as I can't get it back. Thanks.
  • Daisy where did you get the icon? It may be it has been removed from there so you've now lost your icon source.
  • Carol, yes. I've discovered that that is what's happened. I've put a temporary daisy icon in place until I can do something better!
  • Thought so. A Talkbacker once accidently deleted their source picture and lost their icon as a result.
  • strange: the usual thing of the threads i have read still not registering that i have read them (especially my bookmarks) however threads that i haven't seen before move to the last post! weird...
  • Hi, Webbo/Jon.
    (I’ve sent you an e-mail, too.)

One Word Challenge May 2009 - please remove 'sticky'.
    One Word Challenge June 2009 - please add 'sticky'.

Thanks.
    Jay
  • Jon,

I am still having problems with my bookmarks. Some will allow me to click on them from the thread I am reading and will work, taking me to the clicked thread. Others just take me to the bottom of the page I am already on.Any chance of getting this sorted, Please?
  • same prob here
  • Is it my computer ... or is Talkback slow today? I've even received a couple of gobbledegook messages (probably because I clicked too quickly).
  • My computer mucked around and was slow for the first couple of hours today after I downloaded the latest Microsoft update- took ages to get IE open and had to send at least three error reports.
    Then I got a java update.
    After that it worked better and haven't had a problem.
  • Have you done any updates today Jay?
  • edited June 2009
    Moi? No. But you should see the number of e-mails in our various message boxes!
  • delete your cookies and see if that helps.
  • My computer and internet's being a pig, but that's normal. But yeah, it is slowER...not that much though.
  • He-who-knows-marginally-more-than-me has now done something to the computer, and may have speeded things up.
  • Hurray...;)
  • Still got the bookmarks problem though, Jon. It has been almost a fortnight since I last whinged about this, but it is months that I have had the problem
  • same here

and

the TB Photo Gallery thread is doing something really strange...

everytime i go into it it jumps to the "last post" which is halfway up the page... once i've posted something it then also jumps halfway up the page!
  • its just done that with this thread too... jumped to the top of pg 19... really, really, really, weird
  • and for that post it didn't... i'm confused
  • edited June 2009
    Anyone else had trouble accessing Talkback today?