Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• thanks, Jon!
  • Thanks Jon, you are doing a hard job, and we're grateful.
  • Thanks Jon!
  • edited January 2009
    Jon, a query.

Are you taking on any members at the moment? As my friend applied on sunday, but has had no reply yet. Everyone has told me that there's was immediate. Mine took 13 days, but my friend is starting to think that you hate her and is beginning to feel unwelcome.

I'm not complaining, but an explaination would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Probie - let's hope that she soons get accepted.
  • I've been getting threads I've posted disappearing again, been happening randomly for the last couple of days, and has happened twice this evening.
  • JOn, sorry to bother you, but some of my bookmarks aren't working, which is a tad irritating when one wants to navigate quickly from thread to thread
  • I've got the problem of when I respond to or even look at a thread, it stays yellow/lemon and the amount of 'new' posts remains the same, even though it's been visited. It's giving this old head a few problems trying to remember which ones I'e visited and which I haven't.
  • same here dorothy but it only seems to be the newer threads that do this. This thread for example is fine...
  • Jon, any news of how this nonsensical non changing board can be altered?
  • Hi, Jon. Further to my e-mail of Friday, as well as swapping January's "sticky" to February's on the One Word Challenge, is it possible to remove the up/^/etc posts? Thanks.
  • Hi, again. Some, possibly all, of the Talkback links aren't working. When I quote a link in a post and someone clicks on it, all that happens is that they go to the top of the current discussion.
  • Jon, I hate to pester but the board is a complete mess for me, no changing from lemon to white, no showing I have visited any threads, no changing of the figures in red ... it means I am in danger of missing whispers and messages which are important as I cannot always remember which threads I have visited and which I haven't. I am going by times and dates now! What with the links not working, is there a major problem still with the board? A few words would help ... thanks in advance!
  • It looks to me like Jon is away and no one else is checking the forum. My private message to Jon hasn't been acknowledged and February challenge remains 'unsticky' as another weekend looms. Maybe one of you in the UK could 'phone Writers' News and alert them that the board requires some attention?
  • sent an email. I see One Word Challenge is now a sticky but all else remains unattended, as it were. Come on, WN, it's driving me mad!
  • I e-mailed yesterday too. Is anyone out there??

Thank you for putting the February challenge up as a Sticky. Could you also PLEASE delete all the 'up' posts on it too so that we only have the entries and associated whispers? Thanks.
  • Well, my end of TB seemed to be working ok.....until I read your bit dorothy, about not being able to tell which discussions had been read or not. TB has just announced to me that ALL discussions have been read - I must have been very busy in my absence ! ;)
  • it's all over the place. Yesterday a posting didn't show up on the board as being there, but when I went back into the thread it was there ...
  • How mysterious. But where is Jon? Should we send out a search party?
  • Kidnapped by aliens?
  • This is getting silly - the quote button isn't working either now.
    Could someone in the UK phone them tomorrow since they're not responding to our messages on here or our e-mails?
  • Tomorrow is Sunday Claudia. I doubt anyone will be there.
  • Not here it isn't - today is Sunday. :)
  • Now it's Sunday...:)
  • Why can't it be the same day and the same time in every country of the world. Wouldn't that make life easier? I blame the government for all these time zones and day differences.
  • edited February 2009
    It's Mean of them!
  • That's clever, Jay!

Stan - you should have suggested that to G W Bush. He'd probably have tried to organise it!
  • They had a ten-month year and a ten-day week during the French Revolution. Don't think the ten-day week went down too well.
  • Too long to wait for the weekend!
  • PLEASE REPLACE THE STICKY FEBRUARY CHALLENGE WITH THE NEW MARCH ONE

THANK YOU
  • Is anyone having trouble with the 'back' button? Sometimes I press it and, instead of going to what I've just read, I go to something earlier, possibly where I added a post. At least I think that's what's happening. Am I pressing the 'back' button too soon/quickly?
  • I just read your message Jay, and tried my back button, it was okay. But I have found that there are occasional glitches- usually at the weekend- that last a day or so, and then start working okay the next time.
  • I'm still ahving trouble with my bookmarks. MOst of them will no longer allow me to navigate from them. THIs ,akes reading the boards rather a tedious task as I have to go back to discussions every time then chose the appropriate thread, rather than clicking the nest bookmark to go to my next most interesting thread
  • sigh... nothing has been done to fix the website... where is jon? or webbo, or whoever? it's getting a bit more annoying!
  • I expect like many things there is one person who knows the ins and outs of the Talkback board (Jon), and if they aren't there for some reason- holiday/illness/other work, then no one dares touch too much in case everything crashes!
    Patience.
  • Hi TB'ers,

I am looking into the problems with the various parts of the site. I am currently getting a list of the bits that are not working as they should.
    I have been updating various parts of the site to fix some of the other issues, but it appears that there are still some unresolved problems.

To that end you may find that some of the functionality of the site get disabled whilst I update/fix it, Once fixed I will again enable it.

I will try to keep you all up to date with the parts that I will be working on, so that a flurry of "what happend to...", "wheres ????? gone"

Regards
    Jon
  • Thanks Jon, anyone mentions something not working we'll direct them to this. :)
  • thanks jon
  • looking forward to the board changing from yellow to white when I read a thread and giving me correct new postings, Jon! And have you changed the banner at the top from 2008 to 2009?
  • Thanks, for keeping us informed, Jon. looking forward to having full functionality on my bookmarks!
  • It used to be on the main page that threads with many pages had the pages numbered. So, if like myself at the moment, you don't have time to read through everything you could just click on the last page. I find now that this facility has gone, I don't go into threads that have hundreds of entries. Sadly, I just do not have the time. Could this possibly be sorted, hate to think I might be missing out on some really good TB stuff.

Thanks Jon.
  • Click on 'Last comment' on main Talkback screen.
    When page visible, click on 'Top of Page' (bottom right).

Does this solve your problem, Cooper?
  • you can also go on your account. click on forum preferances at the side, and there is a box to tick that automatically puts you to the unread comments.
  • Jon, any chance of changing that very irritating 2008 ad? We are now in the fourth month of 2009!
  • cooper,
    Have now added this feature back in.

Regards
    Jon
  • Thanks Jon.
  • Thanks Jon. A huge help for me.
  • Hi, Webbo/Jon.
    (I’ve sent an e-mail, too.)

One Word Challenge March 2009 - please remove 'sticky'.
    One Word Challenge April 2009 - please add 'sticky'.

Thanks.
    Jay
  • Hi Jon, seems my whisper function has gone and diskappeered on me again. I thought it was just me so I didn't mention it because I haven't been too concerned - but someone whispered to me today so they obviously have it. Is it just me? Is there something I should click on or twiddle with to get it back? Thank you.