Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Daily Challenge - what have you seen today?

Comments

• I saw today:
    a young woman, very young, pushing a buggy up our steep road. One kid in buggy, one each side and she leaning on the handle chattering nonstop into her mobile. The kids looked utterly bored and miserable.
  • The Hawthorn tree in the back garden has finally started to open its flowers. From a distance the greenery is dotted with blobs of white like cotton wool caught on the ends of the branches...
  • A man straddled across a low wall, with his spaniel on the wall too, sat opposite him. The man was eating chips out a paper and he was pointing a sausage cut up into four pieces,(dubiously looking like a dog poo to me) saying "not yet, too hot."

I took it he was talking to the dog.
  • Are you sure he wasn't talking to you - or the sausage?
  • Hawthorn? We only have Blackthorn at the minute I think. Hawthorne isn't usually flowering before May is it?
  • [quote=Jenny]Are you sure he wasn't talking to you - or the sausage? [/quote]

You're very strange some times Jenny.
  • Pots and kettles, Dora. :)
  • edited April 2011
    Liz, Hawthorn can bloom before May, it really depends on the weather. My back garden is quite sheltered but gets quite a bit of sunshine at that end of the garden.

I've just looked up the differences between them on google images and ours is most definitely Hawthorn.
  • Wow, May is out! I love the smell of it. It reminds me of horse linament.
  • Saw and heard a wood pigeon this morning that sounded like a cross between a bird and a Rottweiler. Maybe it's a special call for the mating season!
  • I saw probably the tallest man I have ever seen. Must have been well over 7ft tall in shorts, t-shirt and a beanie hat.

Also seen a man dive on top of a fish on the beach. We had passed him and his family stood around a fishing rod on a quiet part of the beach earlier. On our way back the dogs were off the lead and the younger dog (who is terrible at coming back when we call him) noticed them just as we had called him back to put him on the lead. He turned swiftly and shot off at full speed towards them (he is over excitable and jumps all over the place when he meets people unfortunately) so as I am clipping the older dog on I could see my OH running up the beach and the fisherman launching himself onto the sand. His wife and son tried to catch the puppy who thought it was a great game. They all thought it was funny thankfully. It had apparently taken them 2 days to catch the one small fish and released it quickly back before Barney could play with it. I knew I shouldn't have said how much better he had been lately, it was tempting fate.
  • Those photos are stunning, Lexia! Thanks
  • I have seen
    a sign outside the butchers/fishmongers which reads
    COD FILLITS
    and I have seen, in an email,
    I did not know the books had to be binded
  • Saw and heard on TV the other day, a woman who said:

"My jaw literally hit the floor."
  • [quote=Jenny]Saw and heard on TV the other day, a woman who said:

"My jaw literally hit the floor." [/quote]

One day that will happen...
  • My two young granddaughters (with the help of their Dad) were fishing in the rock pools at the beach. They managed to find a small cat fish, starfish and several prawns. They were so delighted that they gathered quite a crowd of interested onlookers with the result that everyone started talking to each other. One mother even thanked us for letting her child see the catch.
    I may add that no sea creatures were harmed, they were released before we went home.
  • A young robin being fed by one of its parents.
  • material for character building in so many of these postings.
  • We saw the ANZAC cemetery at Harefield today. As it's ANZAC Day, the Australian flag was flying from the church tower and there were fresh flowers on all the graves.

This excerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harefield explains ..

"The church cemetery at St. Mary the Virgin, on Church Hill, houses the graves of over 100 soldiers of the First Australian Imperial Force who died at No. 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital (Harefield Park Hospital) after being wounded in World War I. The hospital became Harefield prior to World War II. Each year on Anzac Day a commemoration service is attended by local dignitaries, representatives from the Australian and New Zealand governments, local school children and many retired servicemen. Following the church service the congregation move to the cemetery and form around the Anzac memorial. The last post and reveille are played, followed by a wreath laying ceremony. Local school children also place flowers on the well kept grave sites."
  • The first swallows-always a bit late in N.Wales but great to see them swooping across the grass. Also saw a paid of sparrow hawks in the field by the house-spectacular :)
  • By the Grand Union Canal at Harefield we saw a pair of terns catching mayflies and seeing off a black-headed gull. Also, on a narrowboat, a dog wearing a red bandana!
  • I went to TK Maxx and bought lots of fun little gifts for friend's birthday to help her clean her new house (building going on till next Christmas). A feather duster, a beautiful wire brush BBQ cleaner and some picnic bowls and glasses, as we are always having picnics there at the moment.

Then I went to a Farm where another friend is the landscape gardener and saw a wild meadow full of Camassias. And lots of displays of beautiful tulips, some which looked like raspberry ripple. And we had home-made cake and tea in the fantastic tea-room - where every cushion on every chair is hand made, and the loos have gardening facts on every surface, and they have a mini in the car park planted with flowers...

Then we went the new house of birthday friend for her birthday bbq - and they didn't have enough bowls (we supplied via birthday present!!) or glasses (yep, birthday gift came up trumps again) and the bbq needed a clean - and her birthday card from her OH featured a woman running with a feather duster...
  • Oh.. and when we got home, OH went to bed and took the dog up, but she whined so woke him up, so he brought her down and took her out and she got muddy somehow, so he brought her back in and we showered her, I went to get her towel from the landing and a mouse the cat had caught ran across the landing... son got up from bed and went out to get a wellie to catch it in... and then got dressed to take it up to the park (Far enough away so it doesn't come back) and has just phoned to say he thinks something is stalking him as it was padding along after him and then it crashed through the hedge and he saw a cow bucking and running... so I told him to hurry home, and I am left with a wet dog to get dry again before I go to bed... what excitement!
  • Saw the first Exmoor foal on this side of the Moor yesterday (sorry, I'm late) above Bagley Wood. Gorgeous, creamy white legs and tummy (they turn darker later on of course!) good straight mover but Ma Pony moved away before I could see what gender it was.
    AND I saw a little robin nesting ON THE GROUND in PS's garden. Good job he's far enough from the HKCs for them not to be a threat but any other passing predator has only to pass by to see the nest ...
  • [quote=Liz!]the loos have gardening facts on every surface[/quote]

On EVERY surface??
  • Yep! Well... not inside! It's all garden themed and beautifully done.
  • today's 'sighting.' A pole by the side of the road in the hospital grounds, with a small notice on it
    PARKING HELP POINT.

Can anyone enlighten me what this might be?
  • In Marks and Spencer two of my sons were looking at Lego in the toy section while I was queueing to pay for the food, they came back to get me.
    There was a Lego man dynamo torch! I had to buy it for my other son. It's about 8 inches and you turn the arm, while the lights are in the bottom of the feet. :)
  • Crazy! Who would have thought of a Lego dynamo torch!
  • Dorothy - maybe there was usually a person sitting on top of the pole who was able to see all across the car park and advise drivers where there were spaces ... but just then he was off having a tea break!
  • white lilac, lilac lilac(!) bluebells, forget-me-nots; our big black cat asleep in a patch of sweet woodruff (he smells gorgous when he comes in) and a little robin helping himself to seeds from the feeder whilst my neighbour and I stood chatting just a couple of feet away...
  • i saw a sign in our local fish shop
    "real crab for sale"
    real as apposed to ?
  • And only one!
  • time's are hard i guess lol
  • A weird looking caterpillar on my washing in the garden. It looked like a very small brown twig with a peg at each end.
  • look up swallow-tailed moth caterpillar.
  • That's the one Liz! What a lovely creature. I did chuck it out of the house again. It must have fallen out the oak tree which overhangs my garden a little (and my garden is only small).
  • local pub serving pub meals, flashy new menus in leather covers, the whole bit.
    The printer has missed the last line of the second sheet and there is a typo, so the last line actually reads

at busy times there will be a shot
  • Sounds like the start of a Midsomer Murders episode!
  • my partner and I were highly amused by that!
  • went to see my grandparents (they live in a block of 50 retirement flats)
    they have an area downstairs to leave things they no longer require so other people can make use of them
    there was a puff (as in big square thing that comes with sofa's) and someone had placed a sticker saying
    Remove this it's a fire hazzard
    someone had written on another sticker underneath it saying
    i'm not a fire hazzard i'm a puff

it made me giggle
  • like it!
    someone told me that they saw a sign on a tattoo parlour window
    TATTOOS WHILE YOU WAIT
  • I had a wonderful view of a buzzard in our local woods this morning. I often see it flying through but today it was in a tree looking down at me.
  • eyeing you up for dinner was it Wilts? ;)
  • Oh I never thought of that Dora!
  • i walked down to the shop while the wedding was on, it was like a ghost town i've never seen it so quiet around here
  • I love that feeling when there is a nation celebration or event and you have to pop out. The calmness of the streets is so lovely.