Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• Well, this is a surprise! How do I get a picture of a kangaroo for my user name?
  • What does 'new' mean at the end of the thingy...new what? New posting, no that can't be right. New thread, can't see it. Sorry Kangaroo, too bothered by the new business. I might like a picture. But what?
  • What does 'new' mean at the end of the thingy...new what?

Pamela - I don't understand. Where is the thingy that 'new' is at the end of?
  • Hi Talkbackers.

Butterfly - I will look into getting a spell checker added.

Carol - The current maximum number of characters is 5000

Daisy and others - I have removed the active users and some of the other stats.

Jemma, Tracy - I will look into getting smilies added.

Carol, Stan - I will look at getting private email or some other private message system set up.

Claudia - I will look at your missing posts.

Pamela - The 'New' appears at the end of the discussion headings on the main Discussion page. This shows the number of new posts to a particular Discussion since you last viewed the Discussion list.

Regards
    Jon
  • Well done Jon - you've got your hands full with us lot.
  • thanks webbo...

just another question...how did you move all he posts from one site to the other? I guess you didn't just use copy paste... ( -;
    my friends and I are soon to upgrade to a new forum and I have been copying and pasting posts into MS Word...quite a job...
  • Feel a bit like the odd one out here - maybe the snow has gone to my head or something! - but I LIKE this site better. I find it easier to navigate. The "New" is great for saving you trawling through old messages and somehow the whole thing fits my screen better.
    THANKS Jon and Webbo - I think I might name two of our snowmen after you!
  • Me too - I think it's a great improvement. Thanks for your hard work.
  • edited January 2008
    Have to admit I miss the last time posted time. As time here and on the other side of the world are different, when Claudia, IG and Kangeroo posted you could work out times- I feel lost in an unknown time zone.
    I KNOW IT SOUNDS SILLY.
  • Can someone please tell me where to find the members' profiles now?
  • You can find your own by clicking on the Account tab at the top. The rest I haven't worked out yet.
  • Although I'm a brunette...I don't quite get this new TB format yet.... But I'm sure it'll grown on me :o)
  • for everyone else's profile you just click on their name
  • Thanks Jemma, just tried it.
    And thanks to Jon, I've just seen his message a few threads above.
  • Thanks Jon, that will really help. When I have time I write it in word then paste in my messages, but that all takes time. I like this new bright, and clean site ago fresh start to 2008.
  • I think it all looks very snazzy but will take some getting used to, it's like anything really isn't it.
  • I think the new talkback will be good. It's like all changes, it takes time to get used to things. (As long as little Webbo with his hat is still here! He needs a new year outfit, of course.)
  • And now we know what Jon looks like! (Maybe!!)
  • Apologies if someone's already mentioned this, but the search criteria are a great help.

But I don't like the label on the box "Add your comment". The screen now reads:

Add your comments
    Enter your comments
    Add your comments

Wouldn't it be better for the final Add your comments to read: "Post your comments"?
  • I don't think it matters really, we can go in and edit later anyway.
  • And I still have to go through page 1 to get to page 2 (the most recent page) of this thread. Shouldn't pages be in REVERSE chronological order?
  • Can someone please explain what the option "Show the comment format type selector when adding comments" (in Forum Preferences) means?
  • edited January 2008
    Jay - if you look at the top right hand corner there is a link that shoots you straight to the bottom of the page so all you need to do then is click on page 2. I prefer them in this order, the conversations make more sense.

Jenny - I can't see that on my screen, maybe I am still having issues.
  • jay where the list of posts are is a link that says "last comment by.." click on the last comment and it takes you to the last page...
  • Lixxy - You should be able to find it by clicking on: Account (at the top of this page) / Forum Preferences (under Account Options in lefthand menu)
  • maybe that comment format type selector has something to do with how you view the comment box while you are typing a post out...that's just a guess...i might be totally on the wrong path...hee
  • Maybe I should just click on it and see what happens!
  • edited January 2008
    good idea...i'm gonna do that too...hee

well let's see anything interesting happen? doesn't look like it...mmm...
  • Again, apologies if you've already answered this. But when I click on Jemma Ash, I see her real name. Am I supposed to?

P.S. Thanks for changing the box to 'Post your comments'.
  • yes, I've let my real name show...
  • Jemma - That's a lovely photo of your cat.
  • You can also choose to reveal your email but since I seemed to be the only one with it there I have taken it off (sniff).
  • Just realised how nosey that makes me sound. Jay said your real name is displayed and I went to have a look!
  • hee, it's fine...yes that is my lovely cat...misty...i will be seeing her in march again...i miss her...
  • Lixxy I have included my email - but not my name. Slightly perverse as you can find one from the other!
  • Thanks for listening to everyone, Jon! The addition of colour and shading has made a great impact, and the whole thing - all the changes you have made since this morning especially - show you care - big thanks!
  • I was a bit dubious about the icons and other new fangled thingys. I was worried that they would detract from what I had come to love about this forum - it's attention to WORDS over everything else. Over the 6 months tht I've been here I have learnt to look at my words from every angle before posting...and then sometimes still post :)

Suddenly being allowed icons and pictures in our profiles is rather like having a non uniform day at school - we all want to portray a bit of our individuality.
  • edited January 2008
    Look I don't want to be a party pooper - I have no objections to this new layout (once I've got used
    to it), but am I the only one here who's a little concerned about our new ~"faster, more stable and more secure" site that automatically shows peoples' real names unless they physically untick the box and that allows personal e-mails to be displayed?
    Am I right that this site is still wide open for anyone to access? Do any of you really want your names and e-mails to be so readily accessible? Am I being paranoid about the big bad internet and stories about identity fraud, or are some of you being naive?
    How is it "more secure" than the old version please?
  • Somewhere in between Claudia - I think this would be better if it were not open and visible except to members. Even if it had to become an add on to a subsbcription or proof of buying the magazine or something to control it. I'm working on the basis that as I have my own website my email is already out there but have closed off seeing my name so that my details are less immediate.

Jon - what are the possibilities of making it a subscription only system (not necessarily paid for but details provided to yourselves) then only having posts open to members to view as well as post?
  • I know my friend's and my site is very secure, you can't google it or find it unless you're given the address...just tried to google talkback and it isn't listed either. So basically only those who know of the site can get in.
  • But it is readily accessible from WN site Jemma - if all the public saw was the thread titles and stats but couldn't get into the threads without registering that would be better.
  • i do see your point. So only if we members we should be able to see the threads...the problem with that is then those who are not members who are looking for a writer's forum won't be able to say, "this looks good".
  • Jemma they would still see the thread titles, number of members number of posts etc - that should be enough to encourage anyone that it is worth joining if they are looking for a forum.

Jon - another thought, is it worth removing members that are inactive for more than perhaps 12 months - to ensure that we keep it in good shape?
  • okay, that would work...hee
  • Jon - see Who's in February 08's magazines? (or something like that).

My "They've arrived" was posted about 9:20am on Saturday - a couple of minutes ago - but, because I did the previous post, it's still showing 18 hours ago and hasn't put the item at the top of the discussions list. Doesn't sound logical to me.
  • The new talkback will take some getting used to but I'm sure it will all be worthwhile in the end.
  • I was concerned too Claudia, so removed my e-mail address- go to the Accounts AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE, AND THEN SELECT FROM THE OPTIONS THAT WILL APPEAR ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE.
    I did try to see if the personal info could be accessed from someone not signed in, and it can't. So you have to be a signed in member to see the details.
  • Thanks Carol - yes, I edited my profile as soon as I realised my personal details were on show. Glad to know that the info is only accessible if you sign in, but I still prefer the old system where you could send and receive e-mails to other members privately via the talkback system. As it stands now we'll have to publicly ask someone for their e-mail, thus informing the whole forum we want to talk to a certain member privately!
  • I know it was something Stan and I both mentioned for Jon, and he is looking at it.
  • Jon, again apologies if you already know ...

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but it was obvious that the Tab key had caused gobbledegook to be printed. (It may have been stuff transferred from the old to the new Talkback system.)

Is stuff created on Word, then copied and pasted into the 'comments' box affected like this, or are all symbols and keystrokes recognized?