Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• I'm not sure the Search facility is working properly.

When I searched for something, several items were returned where the search word wasn't highlighted. I had to click on the posting and find it myself. It looked as if the sentence containing the search word is shown only if it's towards the start of the posting.
  • I've had problems with the Search facility too.

I've double-checked on the old Talkback and "Amboline's WN home study poetry diary" definitely still exists there. I wonder why I can't see it in the new version?
  • edited January 2008
    I've just done a search on 'animal' and found that the results are listed in oldest first. Shouldn't they be listed in newest first?

NEW POST

I've just done a search on 'magazine' and there aren't many "Who's in [month]'s magazines?" shown. What's happened to them all?

NEW POST

I've just done a search on "librar" (library/ies) and only 30 items are returned. Where are the rest? Also, some threads are shown several times because the word crops up more than once - I'm not sure how this is usually dealt with, but it looks odd.
  • Jon - if you're reading this, would it be possible to have the talkback button on the home page of the WN site link to this talkback and not the old one? I feel more people would get here then! (Though they may well wonder where on earth they are when they get here, it will be just like they stepped through the Tardis doors)
  • I know some of you might not use favourites, but as I had the previous Talkback address in that, I went to that, clicked through to her, added this address to my favourites and deleted the old one. So I can access this old board, and the other sections of the website by clicking on Back to Writers News in the top tabs.
    I think that would be a great help mcb, as those who are having trouble getting here, and Jenny has highlighted a few- MarcB among them.
  • edited January 2008
    Total of discussions 6223 according to the left-hand side, but 6220 if you look up and right. So which is it?

OK, so someone's added another discussion - but there's still a difference of 3 between the totals shown.
  • Perhaps the odd three are errors!!!!! :)
  • Thank you Spiresgate for your instructions re the icon, sadly only just spotted as I was already in the middle of being helped by Neph! Isn't it great that talkbackers offer to help each other so much? Now, if only one of you could help me write a million pound bestseller I'd be even more grateful...!
  • edited January 2008
    Viv, where are Spiresgate instructions - I'm struggling with icons (though it has more to do with poor internet connection at the moment than anything else)?
  • Celtic C. Just scroll back to page 3, one day ago, and they are there, but they were tailored to my request for an elephant. Or you could ask Nephilims Child very nicely (by email) and she might help you get exactly what you want. Her help was brilliant.
  • Thanks Viv - and congratulations again!
  • I have bookmarked a few threads I particularly want to follow, and the word bookmarked now pops up to the left of the title, but is there a way of bringing all bookmarked threads to the top? As far as I can see, I still have to scroll through and look for them.
  • Nephilims_child, can you help me shrink my icon picture? I can only see an evil eye... :-)
  • CC if you want some help just mail me.
  • yeah this bookmark thing doesn't really work. surely there should be a list of your bookmarked threads on the left side like the list of threads you started?
  • Viv and Jemma: if you go to your Account page (just click on the lab at the top of the screen) and select the "Forum Preferences" option on the left-hand side of the screen, you can tick a box which lets you choose to display your bookmarked discussions on the left of the screen. The default option seems to be to have the box un-ticked, so you have to set it yourself.
  • ooo i didn't think of checking that again...thanks...
  • Poor Jon. I can't help thinking we should have put some of this stuff on a separate discussion/thread!
  • Thanks Amboline. So easy when you know how!
  • Hi Talkbackers.
    I have now set all Profiles to Hide the Real Name. If you wish to let people know your realname then you can select the option from the Account Preferences page.

Regards
    Jon
  • Thanks Jon for changing the button on the homepage!
  • Hi Talkbackers,

I believe I have now fixed the search sort problem regarding the order being oldest first. It is now showing newest first.

I have also added a live search box to the left hand side, if you simple enter the text you want to search for, wait a few seconds, and the results should appear. You don't need to press return/enter. I have limited the results of this so that it obviously doesn't return screens of results.

Regards
    Jon
  • What is a good site for finding pictures for icons? Is is ok to use any picture for this purpose ie is it allowed. Do you have to buy them or something? Yes, I know I've got my dunce hat on again. Also, do I need anything special on my computer to get an icon?
  • Thankjs Jon, we will experiment and let you know if we experience any difficulties.
  • I've tried several times to get an icon but it won't work. I've been right clicking on the image, clicking on properties and then putting the URL info into the box in my account and then clicking save. Nothing happens. I'm thinking my computer doesn't have what it needs to do this. Or am I doing this wrong? Anyone know? Thanks!
  • Thank you, N_c for offering to help, but my husband has remembered that he had an account with Flickr, which has hosted my picture, so I hope it'll all work.
  • edited January 2008
    I think you may be putting too much information into the URL box. If you located the picture as a result of a search then you have all the parametrs of the search in the URL. Erase everything after .gif or .jpg and paste something like http://www.something.com/pictures/penguin.gif into the box.

Daisy

I've done some digging. In fact you have too littlee information in the box. You have:

http://abflowers1120.jpg

You need (at least) a website adress such as writersnews.com between the '//' and 'abflowers'.
  • edited January 2008
    Nice pic, Verica :)
  • Thanks Spiresgate. I had the full website address followed by the abflowers bit and tried it like that several times first. I thought maybe I had too much info so changed it to just the shorter bit! Thanks though, I'll persevere.
  • Check for underscores. Neph helped me with mine as the first URL didn't work.
  • edited January 2008
    Well, my icon sure looks strange! It's supposed to be a baby. Instead, it looks like a snail went over the screen and pooed everywhere ...
  • Good to see you MDD.
  • Hello Carol. I'm having fun changing my icon. No longer looks like snail poo. Now supposed to be a maaddddd baby!
  • I was going to put a message for MarcB on the old forum, but clicking on Talkback (lefthand menu on the home page) brings you to this version now.
  • edited January 2008
    Marc's sulking on the old site and threatening not to come and join us.

Says he's forgotten his password.

I suggested he come here and register with a slightly different name and password
  • This is ridiculous! I still can't get my icon. It should appear straight away shouldn't it?
  • edited January 2008
    Daisy

Yes it should. I extracted your URL from the TB source code and was able to see your 'daisy smiles'. So your URL is correct. The space by your name suggests something is there. Perhaps it's just too big.

However, it's URL has changed to:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/1038404703036956285mvAdJn

Try putting that in instead.
  • edited January 2008
    Tried that. No good. Maybe, as you say it's too big. I thought it would be cropped automatically though.

Oh, It worked with that one. Now I'm not sure if I like it afterall. Hmm.
  • You've done it! How?
  • edited January 2008
    Absolutely no idea. It's not my first choice, that one wouldn't co -operate. However, I thought it looked childlike and I write for children and work with little ones and it's a daisy.
  • Daisy and MDD love your icons. MDD yes it looks like a maaaaaad baby!
  • NC - thanks for your kind offer but not sure how I can contact you now that we can't send emails via WN.
  • edited January 2008
    CC glad you're okay- see Cooper's thread.
  • I am sad to say that, due to my total lack of computer knowledge I am struggling seriously uphill to find my way around the new system. I was pretty new to the old one and was just getting the hang of it then the brown stuff hit the fan. To make matters worse, thinking what a fun idea the icons were, I decided I would like to have one. I thought I was lucky when I came across this thread where Viv has expressed the same desire but didn't know how to go about it. Trouble is, I CAN SEE A LITTLE PUPPY'S HEAD NEXT TO HER ENTRIES. Every entry from the very first has this dog's head turning to the left with its ear flapping out. IK says she can see Viv's icon as identical to hers but I see IK's as a bottle of popping champagne. I know I'm computer stupid but I never thought I was going daft.
  • I thought it was originally a joke as both their icon spaces were blank.
  • Viv's is an elephant- yes the small size is giving some problem making things clear. I think one of them may have changed their icon.
    Don't worry Magicman you'll get used to it all.
  • Hi Magicman. My icon box was empty for ages, but once I got it sorted out the new ( elephant - not dog!) icon appeared as if by magic against all my old posts. Must be confusing for you to read back over my protests about having no icon but there is one next to every post. Believe me, they weren't there for a long while!
    Celtic C - if you scroll up far enough you will see that N-C has posted her email address here, a few pages back, for anyone who wants to contact her for help.
  • Thanks Viv, I missed that.
  • Can I get this thread back to stuff for Jon and away from icons which sound more trouble than they're worth :0) -

Jon - I appreciate you've been busy with more important 'tweaking', but just wanted to remind you about my lost posts. I hope they haven't permanently disappeared.