Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Hi Claudia,

Your post will still be on the old system, so I will get them moved across to the new system. Are the post that you are missing discussions started by you or are they ones that you have participated in, or both?

Don't worry I have found your missing posts in the old system. They are both started and participated in. I will work out the best way of getting them moved over and sort them for you.

Regards
    Jon
  • Hi Claudia,

I have now moved our your started discussions, as these are the easy ones.
    I will work out the best way of moving over all your participated ones.

Regards
    Jon
  • Hi Jon, could you do mine at some point please?
  • Thanks Jon - hope you'll be able to get all my posts moved over at some point.

Um, can I ask about something else? It may have already been mentioned, but if I'm browsing different pages and read a thread then press 'back to discussions' it defaults back to page 1 again. It's a bit time consuming if I'm working my way back through pages of threads (have to remember which page I was on and find my way back to it). Is there a way of getting out of a thread and back to the page I was browsing? On the old system I just clicked on my 'back' arrow but on this system I get thrown back to page 1 now. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Have we lost Marc B and TessaT to the tides of time? Sob, sob, nooooooo, say it's not so! :-0
  • Marc B has left a message on the old site saying he didn't think he'd be joining the new one. Jon had tried to help but I think it was too complex for him to work round- I'm hopeless with things like that, it needs to work first time.
  • edited January 2008
    I don't understand why Marc can't rejoin over here with a slightly different name, password and e-mail address.

I just went and had a look and Helen's suggestion sounded good.
  • Jon - any chance of changing the limitation that if yours is the last post on a thread, then any comments you add are tagged onto the bottom of that post. The problem is that this does not then move the thread back to the top of the list. Could we either have a choice between adding to the last comment and adding a new comment, or arrange it so that adding to a post automatically shoves it back to the top.

Thanks.
  • edited January 2008
    Yes, I agree with that getting it back to the top after adding to a post where you were the last one preceding.
  • edited January 2008
    Has anyone had any trouble trying to get into the site? It would not accept my name or password, I tried every combination, it took ages and eventually accepted it. It is going to take some time to get used to (for me anyway).
  • Marc B has been having that trouble, he only got in today too.
    Glad you were finally able to join us again B Darter, it's starting to feel like home again.
  • Thanks Carol.
  • I had that very same problem when I came back to the OLD site after having created an account and not using it for a year. In the end I gave up and created a new one.
  • Just like home again mmm chuck another log on the fire folks.
  • edited January 2008
    Jon
    I know others have mentioned it before, but it is now becoming a problem. If you are the last person on the thread, and add another message anytime afterwards, when you submit that, the thread will not go to the top. This is causing new threads to get pushed down onto second and third pages too quickly, because you can't bring it to the top yourself. So some members-because they are only here at certain times of the day- can miss these newer items.
    I've started a thread which hopefully will be read, suggesting Tb's look at the 2nd and 3rd pages in case they've missed items. But we would like ALL the threads to go to the top each time we add something.
  • edited January 2008
    And in a new colum if you add another one later. At the moment it gets added to the last one entered if no one else adds. Hope this makes sense.

This is an eg as I added this line after posting above.

Actually, I don't suppose this is such a prblem after all.
  • Hello MDD! (and others I miss) Now, put those tissues away at once. Have merely been (a) very busy at work, then (b) suffering horrid sickness/headaches and the Inca Quickstep - ha, straight to the loo. TMI for anyone else but not for you :O)

How the heck ARE you all?? Crumbs, haven't things changed? I haven't even got an icon!

I agree with a lot of posts on this thread and have still yet to explore the new system but after all this time had forgotten my password and had to have it reset to get in and say hi. Missing you all but have had contact with Jenny/TP.

Can't they make it so we can just take a pill in the morning and be in touch and able to respond all day, just by thinking of WN??!! Virtual contact indeed. A wizard somewhere would be in control (maybe Webbo IS one) going haha! So, TT wants to respond to thread on new system, I shall send her comments to all concerned - and to cap things, we could all strike lucky in the lottery that is publishing when sending off the merest hint of a draft.

Yes, could be good. Much love to you all and belated Happy New Year ... what do they do in Fiji for Christmas and NY Claudia, or am I a bit late wondering about that? TTxx
  • edited January 2008
    Hi Nephilims-child, what does your icon represent? I seem to recognize it, but I'm not sure. Sorry if somebody has already asked you this question somewhere before, but I' m still trying to find my way here and I don't even know if this post will appear in the right place!

Can we still check where our posts are? Sorry, I'm lost....
  • edited January 2008
    We're trying to keep this one purely for issues with the new site-as we don't want Jon to wade through lots of stuff not relevent to him, to get to the important one we need him to read- we do err occasionally, so it's not just you.
    There are a lot of bits covering the icons, so try using the search tab at the top and hopefully you will get a set of threads shown on the left hand column to choose from.
    This post is stuck at the top, and doesn't move, the others below do. But if you are the last one to add to a thread, and no one adds after you, your next message on that same thread will appear at the bottom of your previous text and not move to the top. So you may need to search through a few pages to find it again. You can mark threads you've read- see text on left.
    (Good to see you back)

New problem item
    Last night, and just now I replied to a thread, clicked post your comments, saw it added , then clicked back to the discussion, and having just gone back to it now- bill's love wonderful thread, and found my comment not there at all.
  • Carol, I thought I'd 'lost' a couple of posts, too, but put it down to pressing 'Back to Discussions' instead of 'Post your comments'. I have wondered, though, if I did press 'Post your comments', but didn't allow enough time for it to register before pressing 'Back to Discussions'. Jon, is that a possibility?
  • edited January 2008
    At first I thought I'd forgotten to click the post button, but thinking about it, I think it's clicking back or back to the discussions too quickly.
    After I post this, I'll add 'test' and go back before the flashing stops.

Test

No that didn't stop it.
  • edited January 2008
    Bu*ger - my long post didn't register because I made the mistake mentioned above!

The gist of it was: I still want to know if there's a way to stop defaulting back to page 1 after reading a thread on a different page. It's really time consuming when I want to have a quick browse. I read a thread on say page 5, click on Back to Discussions and find myself back on page 1 again when I wanted to continue browsing on page 5.

Jon - can you help? I used to use my Back Button to take me one step back, can you make it work like that again?

Some time later....
    Ah ha! That'll teach me not to check the system properly before I post a comment. I've just found that I can now get back to the page I was on if I click on my 'back arrow' rather that clicking on 'back to discussions' - so no more gripes from me.
    Sorry Jon!!
  • VivViv
    edited January 2008
    Bookmarking seems to have stopped working. Tried to bookmark a couple of threads I am interested in but didn't work. Then tried to remove a bookmark from a thread that's died off but couldn't get the bookmark off!

Later - Panic over. It's working again. It's always been instant before, but maybe this time it just had to think about it for a while!
  • Anyone care to move 'exercise for the imagination 2' back up to the top again before it gets lost?

Do I really ask such difficult questions?
  • Aha, the answer to that one is 'Yes' too.
  • Not sure I like this new format.
  • Hello Jon/Webbo - every time I add to a thread I get this message coming up:

'Some problems were encountered
    You must enter a value for the comments input.'

Don't understand!
  • I get that if I accidently press post your comment without having put a message in the box.
  • edited January 2008
    I've definitely put a message in the box and pressed 'post your comments' and then I press 'post your comments' again to confirm and then I get the 'problem message' but my post still appears.
  • You only press 'post your comments' once, otherwise it mucks the system up as I found when I clicked it twice.
  • Just wanted to say thanks for changing the post problem of same end posters having their posts added to their previous post. I know exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks Jon.
  • edited January 2008
    i see there is a little thing that says "thanks" next to report post...any comments on what this is about and what it actually does...? and the "whisper your comments to" ?
  • If you ask for help and someone gives you a useful answer you can hit thanks and it will register on their profile page - I think. A bit like collecting gold stars at school! At least that's what I think it is!
  • Just checked my profile and I have one thank you from IK.
  • Is the 'Thanks' new or am I just very unobservant?
  • Just appeared this aft I think Jenny
  • Maybe it only gives full names when these already appear on people's profiles.
  • No it doesn't as I just pressed thanks on Carol for her help and it has come up with some weirdo called Astrid Hill. This is no good, I'm Josette! Anyhow thanks Carol. I'm sure you had to press 'post your comments' twice at some point or lose the post. Maybe I just imagined it. I'm losing the plot here completely.
  • Josette., or should I say Astrid. Tracy could be mightily relieved.
  • Thought I'd try here for the answer to what does whisper do and ditto thanks - but still the answer evades my comprehension - aaaaaargh!
  • Think someone's said it shows your REAL name, too.
  • So, is whisper just a way of pointing out that you may be answering one person in a thread that contains many?
  • What on earth is this all about?
    Jon - after all the angst over revealing real names, have you changed something so that our right to privacy has been lost again?
    If my real name is going to be shown (again!) without my permission I want my membership to this forum deleted.
  • Jon
    Can you explain how the whisper your comments to works? And how does the thanks work?
    (Sorry I haven't checked to see if there is another thread that explains yet- I start at the top and work down.)
  • Comment format type selector is the option that puzzles me! Is that anything to do with big input and small input?
  • Don't know but you just click where it says big imput or small imput and it makes it the opposite. Big I to Small I and vice versa.
  • Just noticed there's an option to 'Display your private discussions in the side panel'. Is that new too - and what does it refer to?
  • Do you think we should have had a training session for the new Talkback?!!
  • Just tried it but as far as I know, I don't think the whisper thingy worked. I typed that last message and hit the whisper box before hitting 'post your comments' and it's appeared on the forum. I give up.
  • IG - it hasn't appeared here. I had this with IK earlier on - I couldn't tell what was visible to me from what was visible to others. If you posted on this thread it hasn't appeared even though you may be seeing it (in a different pastel colour).
    I think Jon has found a way of responding to our request to be able to speak to TBers off-thread - unfortunately, it's not what I would have hoped for and doesn't make up for the ability to email TBers via Webbo