Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• Thanks CC. I guess it IS private then but unless you're on the ball (which I often am not) you'd have to look closely for the pastel colour and then only hope it wasn't visible to everyone else. I suppose it might be good for privacy in that you don't actually see the other person's email address, though. Pretty private, really. AND you have a record of what you said to the other person whereas on the old system, once you'd press 'send' you had no copy of what you'd said to them.
  • Yes IG, I can see what Jon is offering - and it is what we asked for - BUT I don't think it will take off here (I can foresee forgetting what is whispered and what is not and then the threads making no sense)
    Also be aware if you press the new "thanks" tab then your full name will be exhibited for all to see -reviving all those old arguments about confidentiality.
    Must head for bed - good night!
  • Where is the thanks tab?
  • The thanks tab is to the right of these words, next to Report and Post.................................................................................
  • Ah I missed it because it was grey text, thank you.
  • Hi Talkbackers,

I have now modified the thanks part so that it shows your Username and not your real name. I have just done a test on Island Girl and it is showing my username WarnersInternetDept and not my real name.

Regards
    Jon
  • Hi Jon.

Just wondering, if there's any progress in bringing back my lost threads to the new Talkback? I'd be gutted to have lost my blog thread.

• Thanks for your prompt help, Jon. We do appreciate it.
  • Yes - thanks for your help, Jon!
  • Hi, Jon.

I've done some digging about forums/fora, and someone mentioned the forum they used to use. It was PHPBB, and apparently it can be used for free from PHPnuke. I understand that it’s easy to use and, being a very popular forum, a lot of users will already know how to use it. I also understand that it’s pretty safe - as it’s freeware, it’s constantly updated to protect it.

Does this help?
  • another forum type is invisionfree which my friends and i have been using...also very easy to use...
  • Jon, would a pastel background make this feel more inviting?
  • Thanks Jon. We really do appreciate how much time and effort you're putting into this to make us feel comfortable and loved. We're starting to get back those warm and fuzzy feelings. ;-)
  • Fabulous! I've got *all* my discussion threads back, including my Home Study blog! Thank you so much, Jon :)
  • Can I have mine back too please Jon?
  • Sorry I still haven't worked out what the 'Whisper your comments to' is all about. Can someone please explain. I've been off for a few days and everything changed. I guess the thanks it so that you don't use a whole comments section to say thanks to someone? is that right? I've just notced the Report Post - what's that? Have bad headache had for three days, feeling rather dim at the moment.
  • whisper your comments is a way to write to someone via the thread without others seeing what you have written. It's a personal message rather than an open one. Some TBers don't like the idea, others do. You're right about the thanks, you end up with a tally of them if enough people send you thanks for something! It's a Feel Good thing. Nice idea.
  • I think the Report Post is used if someone says something excessively rude etc and you want Webbo/Jon to know.

There's a bit about 'whisper' on the discussion/thread called something like Tips for New Talkback.
  • That all makes sense. thanks to you all
  • All Discussions shows 6430, while Discussions (on the left-hand side) shows 6435. Which is correct, and why don't they show the same number?
  • In what order is the Categories list? It doesn't appear to be alphabetical or by most popular.
  • When I click on 'Last comment by' on the 'Longhand' discussion/thread, I am taken to the start of the discussion instead of the end.
  • When I click on 'Last comment by' on the 'Alternative Titles' discussion/thread, I am taken to the top of the last page instead of the bottom of the last page.
  • You can fix your setting to take you to the last seen message on the threads- go into your accounts page, and on the left hand side click on the one which allows you to fix your settings- I think on that main page it's the top one, tick it and it will always take you to the last thread you've read on that thread (be it top of the page or bottom!)
  • I think I've got it set for that. The 'Last comment by' is still wrong sometimes, though.
  • Mmm, not sure why that is. Sorry.
  • I have had it happen too Jay - only occasionally. I have no idea of a cause of that.
  • Likewise - sometimes it goes to the right place and sometimes it doesn't. Also - very occasionally - it doesn't even go to the latest page.
  • When I did a search, I found that there seems to be a duplication of the discussion/thread/topic

Who's in February's magazines?

(The two items both relate to 2007. There is a separate discussion for February 2008.)
  • Am I the only one who gets negative numbers in the 'comments since last read' position?
    Most confusing.
  • It just depends on the time of day. Also I find if you remain logged in and go off to another website, then come back there is then usually a few new numbers. Sometimes there isn't any change.
  • It looks as though you don't get timed out now when typing a longer message.
  • No, I can now remain logged on and come back to post things without having to log out and back in again.
  • When you click on 'Post your comments', the words 'Preview Post' flash onto the screen. This is confusing.
  • Writing Queries - Laptop or handwritten

Why can't I see any posts on the above discussion thread? I was on the page that said 1 to 47 of 47 - but it was blank!
  • Jay, I tried it and I see 1 to 48 of 48 but no messages. The last thing I posted on that thread was a comment about the posts always showing as unread no matter how many times I read them - I think it must be a rogue thread.
  • Sorting this site out must be like swimming in treacle!
  • Hi, Jon.

Personal Information and Change Password. Is it possible to show the maximum length of the fields (number of characters/spaces)?

And a really minor thing - I don't think there is such a word as 'thankyou'.

Thank you!
  • Pedant Jay! :-)
  • I nearly said thankyou wasn't in my dictionary, but I thought that might have sounded even worse!

No offence meant, Jon.
  • Jay, are you getting two lines of page numbers? If so I get that sometimes but if I click on a page number the page and its contents appear.
  • (That really long one of 17 pages does that, two lines of the same numbers but it doesn't seem to make any difference if you click the top or the bottom set.)
  • Don't think it matters which teeth you use, Carol :0)
  • madness going on here ... total madness
  • Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere but I can't find it, there are so many new posts since my last visit.
    The question is: how do I trace back all my posts? I tried search topic but it says no items found, also comments, but it shows the answers to my posts only. Thank you.
  • If you go into your account, on the left of the page there is 'comments added' - this will list your latest stuff
  • edited January 2008
    Question for Jon

How genuinely private is the Whisper facility? Can you and your Webettes read them at your end?
  • Claudia - I am almost certain the honest answer to that is yes. THey couldn't do it within the system as it stands on a different basis.