Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• Okay, guys. I'm being really computer illiterate now, but how do I add an icon? I've gone into My Account and found the empty icon box, but how do I put a picture in it? Found a lovely image on the web and tried to copy and paste but no luck. Help please!
  • okay, pic on web...right click on the picture where it is on the web and click on properties...there you will see a URL...copy that and put it in the box for the icon...

hope that helps
  • Thanks Jemma. I have tried that. I presume it takes time to work, cos no icon is yet appearing against my name.
  • should happen straight away.
  • Viv, you got the same icon as me :)
  • I can't see either of your icons on this discussion! By the way, Isabella, you do know that your e-mail address is showing on your profile, don't you?
  • But they are the same, aren't they, Jay.

I know about the e mail. I don't mind
  • IK, your icon is not showing next to your name.
  • Still no sign of my icon (it's an elephant ) here or on my account page. The URL number is showing in the icon box with http in front of it that I didn't put there, so I assume it must recognise it as a valid number, but nothing's happened. I can't see Isabella's either. So, how did she know hers is the same as mine???
  • I have now tried with five different elephants and I am giving up! It's a jumbo task (tusk?) and I can't be bothered with it any more. Odd how my name by my posts has moved a bit to the right though, as if it's now leaving room for an icon - maybe it's invisible?
  • Imagine if there are such things as invisible elephants! How would we ever know where they are?

Just remembered all those elephant jokes ... eg
    How do you know when an elephant's been in your fridge?
    Footprints in the butter!
  • How do you get 5 elephants in a Mini? Three in the back and two in the front. Enough...!
  • edited January 2008
    It's OK - I can't remember any more !

It says "big input" above the "Enter your comments" window, so - this being a small input - I clicked to get "Small input" - and the window became much larger.

Kind of illogical, isn't it?!! (What difference does it make anyway?)
  • Does it automatically convert to big input if your small input becomes big?
  • You'll have to try it and see.
  • Hi Talkbackers,

When I get back into the office on Moday I will look at setting all your names invisible by default.

Also a guest user cannot see any of your details. You have to be a registered user and logged in to see any information regarding your profiles.

I will also try to get some form of email or whisper system so that you can chat privately within the system.

Regards
    Jon
  • Thanks Jon.
  • Well, I don't care what any of you say, It's still obvious to me that Viv's icon is the same as mine :)
  • IK - Do you mean it's blank?!!
  • I've got a blank one too!! I think I'll leave it as it is - it sums me up nicely!
  • Yes, Jenny :) I see you've got one too, mcb - I think we could start a trend.

My OH said he'd got a perfect icon for me so I left him to set it up...d'you think he's done it yet?
  • Not that I can see... Still firing blanks there IK!
  • Jon, page 5 of What did you accomplish today? keeps coming up blank even though it lists numerous items on it. Any ideas? (I eventually got onto it by going via page 4.)
  • Dear Warners Internet Dept.,
    If a spell checker is to be added, then please can it be an English version?
    Ta.
  • edited January 2008
    The problem Jay mentioned happens with all the very long threads.

Just checked and this also occurs with the Most Pointless Thread. It has 17 pages, and when you click on the thread you get the list of numbers- you click the last page visible and you get the page before the last one, so have to click the last page number which is now showing, to get to the end of the thread.
  • edited January 2008
    Just checking something...

Nope. Blank.
  • edited January 2008
    Baggybooks has joined the club, too :)

Ah ha! Hubby came up trumps this time :)

Which makes my posts above sound even stranger than they did to begin with :)
  • I wonder why Viv's icon hasn't appeared yet.
  • My husband tried to put an icon in for me but, apparently, this is a complicated way of doing this and there are easier ways. Could this be done more simply, please, Jon? Thank you.
  • edited January 2008
    Verica I really don't mean to sound rude, but it's not that complicated really. Just stick a picture onto a photobucket account and then paste the url into your account info.

Im wondering if the reason some of them arent showing is because they are being linked from sites that don't allow hot-linking.

Oh and if anyone wants any help with an icon, just drop me a line at [email protected] and I'll be happy to help. If you have a picture you want to use that needs re-sizing or hosting because you don't have anything like a photobucket account, I can do that for you.
  • I found a site like that yesterday Neph. It warned that it had stopped linking from the page.
    IK your icon moves!
  • Good innit, Carol :) Go and look at the rough sea pic in my profile. It was taken recently - but that doesn't move.
  • Love the image IK. Really adore pictures of stormy seas.
  • IK I love your icon!!
  • You know another thing that would be nice is a list like the one we can have of the topics we've started...of all the topics we are involved in. Something to tell us when there is a new post in a topic we posted in.
  • You can bookmark a discussion- if you look top left under Start a Discussion/options. This may do what you need.
  • great thanks... ;-)
  • edited January 2008
    Hi Jon, this will take some getting used to but I'm sure once the glitches (and our exacting requirements) are sorted, it will be well worth the effort. Liking it so far, though.
    Re Jay's thoughts on the 'more than one page' thing, where you have the numbers listed at the bottom, would it be possible to have the listing as follows: <1234 end> ? At least that way we can just hit the 'end' and get to the last post immediately. (Or has this already been suggested?)

Sorry, I think that was supposed to be addressed to Webbo.
  • Typing a message in the Enter Your Comments window and clicking on Back (perhaps to check a previous post on the thread) before you've posted it means that when you return to the window your message will have disappeared - as I discovered this morning!

In future I'll type longer messages in Word and then copy and paste them to the window.
  • Jon, could you tell us all more about the history of the new system? Who designed it, how it was tested, that sort of thing. Thanks.
  • To Viv

Your elephant thing:

what you need to put in the URL box is

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/images/quiz_elephant.gif

That shoulld work.
  • sometimes if its got an underscore in it it shows up blank. Also the re-sizing is a bit iffy. I've found the easiest thing to do is re-size it in paintshop and then upload it to photobucket.
  • Don't mind me, I'm only trying out the icon thingummy.
  • Thanks to some great help from Cat (otherwise known as Nephilims Child) I have my jumbo icon at last. Thank you!
  • Hurray! This is my laburnum tree. (Bigger picture on my profile page.) The colours on my screen are a bit weird so I'm hoping the tree looks more yellow to you than it does to me.
  • edited January 2008
    Looks green to me Lily.
    (My Penguin is courtesy of Neph too, and I'm very grateful.)
  • My pleasure ladies!!
  • I've noticed that a couple of threads started by me have disappeared from the Poetry section. The State of British Poetry thread has vanished (although its sequel, Part 2, is there and active), and Amboline's WN Home Study Poetry Diary has unaccountably vanished too. I'd really like this latter thread back if at all possible.